After something quick and easy? Try this baked egg custard you can easily make it in a slow cooker. This is an ideal dish if you are having a dinner party as it can be prepared in advance and is lovely served chilled.
Make this simple dessert a “wow” your guest by baking and serving it in a unique way. As can see from the photos, I used cups and saucers to serve the custard. The cup size used is 250 ml, however, you could go as small as 200 ml.
It’s a rich dessert and goes well with fresh fruits. But there’s nothing stopping you from serving it with whipped cream, if you are after something a little more decadent.
You could easily turn this baked custard into a creme burlee. Sprinkle 1 heaped teaspoon of sugar on the top of each chilled custard. Then use a kitchen blow torch to caramelize the sugar and serve within 20 minutes.
If you haven’t subscribed to our newsletter, please do. Click here to subscribe to the newsletter to be notified of our latest recipes.
Baked Egg Custard
- 6Lt slow cooker
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- Zest of one lime or zest of one small lemon
- 50 ml lime or lemon juice
- 80 grams caster sugar
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Plus. Hot water for water bath in the slow cooker
- Selection of fresh fruits – I used fresh mango and passionfruit
- Put the eggs, egg yolks, zest, lime juice and sugar into a small saucepan whisk together until well combined.
- Pour in the cream, stir well. Place the saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to the boil, while stirring. Remove from the heat.
- Strain into a jug.
- Divide the custard mixture evenly between the cups.
- Place the cups into the slow cooker. Carefully pour hot water into the slow cooker, just enough so that it comes halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Loosely cover the tops of the cups with a single layer of foil. Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on low setting for 2 – 2½ hours, or until the custard sets.
- Carefully remove the hot cups from the slow cooker, allow to come to room temperature, then chill well in the fridge.
- To serve, place the cups on their saucers and serve with fresh fruits of your choice.
You May Like These Easy Recipes