Make these bbq chicken sliders the next time you need to feed a crowd. These simple sliders are quick to make and great to take to picnics, potlucks, or game day.
These bbq chicken sliders are so good to eat and perfect for parties. Quick to make everyone will enjoy these.
👛 Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $10.50 or $1.75 a serve
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe:
You will love this recipe for BBQ chicken sliders because:
- This is the perfect recipe for using leftover rotisserie chicken.
- These little hot sandwiches are great for parties or casual gatherings like game day, game night, or even potlucks.
- You can even make these or our ground beef sliders with onion soup mix for a quick and simple family dinner.
- You can have these ready in 30 minutes.
🥘 Ingredients In This Recipe
The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
Bread rolls - small rolls are great for making these mini burgers, either individual rolls or a sheet of attached rolls. Use Hawaiian sweet rolls or plain dinner rolls or brioche buns.
Cooked chicken - we used store-bought rotisserie chicken for convenience, but you could use homecooked chicken breast or chicken thighs that have been brined and either pan-fried, grilled, baked, or cooked in the slow cooker.
BBQ sauce - use your favorite bbq sauce and use as much or as little as you like.
Onion - use red onion or salad onion because these are milder in flavor than brown (yellow) onions.
Cheese - we used grated cheddar cheese, but you could also use pre-sliced cheese.
🍳 Step By Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease or line the base of a rimmed baking sheet with baking paper.
Step 1 - Slice the dinner rolls in half lengthwise. Place the bottom half onto the prepared baking tray.
Step 2 - In a small bowl, place the chicken and barbecue sauce and mix until evenly coated. Spread the mixture evenly over the buns.
Step 3 - Top the chicken filling with sliced red onions.
Step 4 - Sprinkle over the chopped parsley.
Step 5 - Top with sliced cheese.
Step 6 - Place the top half of the rolls on top of the sliders.
Mix the melted butter, stock powder, and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and brush the tops of the rolls with the mixture.
Step 7 - Loosely cover with foil. Bake covered for 15-20 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Slice or pull apart the rolls before serving, hot or warm.
✏️ Recipe Notes
Bread rolls vary in size - we used 6 mini dinner rolls. The total weight of the buns was about 270 grams (9.5 ounces) and measured two buns wide (15 cm, 5.90 inches) and three buns long (26 cm, 10.29 inches).
If the buns you use are larger or smaller, increase or decrease the filling ingredients to ensure that you have enough to make the sliders.
👪 Serving Size
A single serve is one slider.
🍬 Calories Per Serve
There are 320 calories in one of these BBQ sliders.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
You could serve just about anything with these bbq sliders, like:
Buns - even though this recipe calls for dinner rolls, you can use whatever buns you have. For example, you could use:
- Hotdog buns
- Hamburger buns
- French sticks
- Or you could even use crescent roll buns.
And if they are on the large side, cut them into smaller manageable pieces before or after baking.
- Add bacon bits
- Use a different cheese like mozzarella, or pepper-flavored cheese
- Use cilantro (fresh coriander) leaves instead of parsley
Refrigeration – Store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days.
Freezing - We haven't tried freezing these uncooked, but we think it should be okay to do so, with a few changes to the recipe.
- Place a layer of sliced cheese to cover the top of the bottom half of the buns.
- Top the cheese with the bbq sauce-coated chicken, followed by the red onion and another layer of cheese.
Doing it this way should stop the sauce from soaking into the bread and prevent it from going soggy.
Thaw the sliders before baking.
Cold-cooked leftover sliders reheat very well. Reheat uncovered in the microwave oven for 15- 20 seconds or until hot.
📝 Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can add coleslaw to the sliders but add it after baking. The easiest way to do this is to serve coleslaw in a separate bowl and let everyone add coleslaw to their buns.
These can be prepared the night before, stored covered in the fridge, and cooked the next day, but you could end up with soggy bread depending on how much bbq sauce you added.
For the best results, we suggest prepping all the ingredients, storing them separately, and then assembling the sliders just before cooking.
I do hope that you try this bbq chicken sliders recipe. If you do, please come back and leave a comment below because I would love to know how you went.
CONNECT WITH RECIPE POCKET
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
📋 Recipe Card
BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 6 mini buns see notes below
- 375 grams (13.2 ounces / 3 cups) of cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce or to taste
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 120 grams (4.2 ounces / 1 cup) grated cheddar cheese, or 6-8 slices of processed cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease or line the base of a rimmed baking sheet with baking paper.
- Slice the dinner rolls in half lengthwise. Place the bottom half onto the prepared baking tray.
- In a small bowl, place the chicken and barbecue sauce and mix until evenly coated. Spread the mixture evenly over the buns.
- Top the chicken filling with sliced red onions.
- Sprinkle over the chopped parsley.
- Top with sliced cheese.
- Place the top half of the rolls on top of the sliders.Mix the melted butter, stock powder, and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and brush the tops of the rolls with the mixture.
- Loosely cover with foil. Bake covered for 15-20 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Slice or pull apart the rolls before serving, hot or warm.