Make this delicious beef and chilli bean today! Seasoned with fresh chilli, herbs and spices and loaded with tomatoes, capsicum, beans and ground beef. This is a soup that can be enjoyed any time.
Made with Mexican flavours, this beef and chilli bean soup can be enjoyed simply with pieces of fresh or toasted bread or served with corn chips, sour cream, cheese, a squeeze of lemon (or lime) juice and a sprinkling finely chopped coriander.
About This Soup
- It’s light, healthy and full of flavour.
- Reasonably quick to make and can be adjusted to your own tastes.
- It’s budget friendly.
Hints and Tips
Using Chilli Powder
A word about chilli powder, they are not all equal. You will get some that are super-hot and others that are mild with just a hint of heat.
These powders are made from dried chillies and if the variety is not stated on the packet, you may never know how hot it could be until you taste it.
So, if you are unsure about the chilli powder you have, add a small quantity to your cooking, you could start by using ½ teaspoon at first, taste and adjust to your liking as you go.
Just like chilli powder, fresh chilli’s vary in heat. Generally, the smaller they are the hotter they are.
So, if you have never used fresh chilli in your cooking before, start by using a large chilli something like paprika. If you can’t get paprika, you could use a small portion of a small chilli.
If there are members in your family who don’t like fresh chilli, don’t add it to the soup. Rather, serve finely sliced chilli separately, and use it as a garnish to the soup, for those who enjoy chilli.
Make it Vegetarian
Turn this into a vegetarian meal by substituting the ground beef with an extra can or two of rinsed and drained beans. And use vegetable stock or water instead of chicken stock.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze Beef Chilli Bean Soup?
Yes, this soup freezes very well.
Can Chilli Bean Soup Be Made Ahead?
Yes, it can be made in advance. Which is what I often do, I find that the flavors improve when left for a day or two.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Beef Chilli Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150 grams red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and finely chopped
- 2-3 small red chilli finely sliced
- 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 20 grams fresh coriander finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 500 grams lean minced beef
- 200 grams red capsicum seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 x 400 gram canned diced tomato
- 400 grams fresh tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 x 400 grams canned red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 litres water
- Beef or chicken stock powder to taste (optional)
- Salt to adjust the seasoning
- In a large sauce pan, add the oil and heat over a medium/high heat, add the onion and garlic and fry until the onions are soft and start to change colour.
- Add sliced chilli, ground cumin, ground coriander, chopped fresh coriander, chilli powder, paprika powder. Mix well with the onion and garlic and fry on medium heat for a minute.Tip: If you find the mixture is too dry and might burn, turn down the heat and add a splash of water to the pot.
- Turn up the heat, then add the beef mince. Cook until the meat turns from a pinkish red to a brown colour (this will take about 5 minutes). As you are browning the meat, break it up with your wooden spoon (you don’t want any big lumps of meat).
- Turn down the heat a little and add capsicum. Cook until softened (this will take about 5 minutes). As it’s cooking give it a stir every now and again.
- Add the tomato paste, stir well into the mixture.
- Add the diced canned tomatoes, rough chopped fresh tomatoes, red kidney beans, Worcestershire sauce, 2 litres water, your choice of beef or chicken stock powder to taste.Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer with lid off, for about 20 – 25 minutes or until the flavours have developed, and the soup is slightly reduced.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Recipe first published April 30, 2018. Updated with recipe improvements and new images, February 20, 2020.
Love to try this Beef Chilli Bean Soup? PIN THIS to your Soup Recipes board on Pinterest.
You Might Like These Easy Recipes
- Chicken Soup With Egg Noodles
- Fast – Korean Ground Beef Rice Bowl
- Slow Cooker Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
Every chilli has a different heat level. This can range from as little as 0 Scoville units to over 1,000,000 Scoville units. Find out what heat rating your favourite chilli has here.