This easy black bean and corn salad that can be put together in less than 10 minutes. Made with a mix of canned and fresh vegetables this is the perfect side dish for any meal.
About This Salad
- This is an easy canned black bean corn tomato salad, that’s full of flavour and textures that won’t break down and go soggy.
- Good to serve with grilled fish or meats and perfect for taking to picnics and BBQ’s.
- This black bean salad can also be used as a salsa, it’s delicious as a taco filling with Mexican pulled pork or use it as a healthy dip with tortilla chips.
- It’s a fresh and healthy cold salad, perfect for warm summer days.
Black beans – for convenience I used a 400 gram can of black beans, rinsed and drained.
However, if you have dried black beans these can be cooked, cooled and added to the salad. You will need 240 grams (about 1 ½ cups) of cooked black beans for this recipe.
Note: A 400 gram tin of canned black beans when drained, will give about 240 grams (1 1/2 cups) of beans.
Corn Kernels – fresh, frozen or canned corn can be used. If using fresh corn, cook and cool it before using. For frozen corn it has already been cooked, allow it to thaw before adding to the salad. If using canned corn rinse and drain the corn before using. You will need about 260 grams for this recipe.
Note: A 400 gram tin of canned corn kernels when drained, will give about 260 grams (1 ½ cups) of corn kernels.
Jalapenos are a Mexican chilli; they add a little heat to the salad. Use as much as you are comfortable with or leave them out if you don’t like chilli.
Use fresh jalapenos if they are available or use pickled jalapenos if you can’t get fresh. If you can’t get jalapenos at all use a green chilli instead.
Garlic – my recipe uses garlic powder, but you could use one to two cloves of grated fresh garlic. I choose to use garlic powder because, it is gentler on the stomach, whereas raw garlic can cause gas and bloating in some people.
Avocado – select a firm ripe avocado, it should feel slightly soft but not mushy when lightly pressed. If you don’t like avocado it can be left out.
Tomatoes – Use firm ripe tomatoes you could also use cherry or grape tomatoes and cut into quarters.
Capsicum (bell peppers) – For visual appeal I used orange capsicum, but red, yellow, or green capsicum could also be used.
Onion – use red onion, these not only look good in a salad, they are milder in flavour compared to brown onions.
Coriander – use fresh coriander. The leaves and stems can be used.
Lime juice – if you can’t get fresh lime, use the juice of a fresh lemon instead.
The rest of the ingredients – cumin powder, chilli powder, honey, olive oil are used to flavour the salad dressing.
This black bean and corn tomato salad is actually very easy to make.
First drain the canned beans and corn into a sieve and rinse under cold water. Place these into a large mixing bowl along with the diced onion, diced capsicum, diced tomato and diced jalapeno.
I like to remove the seeds from the tomato before dicing, however, this is an optional step. I do this because, the seeds contain a lot of moisture which tends to make the salad watery.
To remove the seeds from the tomato, cut it in half and use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds and discard, then cut the tomato into small pieces.
Next prepare the salad dressing by finely chopping the coriander and place it into a medium sized, wide necked bottle with a lid. Add the olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, honey, chilli powder, cumin powder and salt and pepper to taste. Put the lid on the jar securely and shake to combine the ingredients.
Just before serving the salad. Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and use a dessert spoon to scoop out the flesh and cut into small pieces. Add the diced avocado to the bowl with the other vegetables, pour over the salad dressing, mix well and serve.
How to Make Black bean and corn salsa?
This black bean and corn salad can easily be turned into a salsa. The ingredients are exactly the same as this salad recipe. However, everything except the corn and black beans are cut into very fine dice. Use as a filling for tacos.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many calories in black bean and corn salad?
This black bean corn salad has about 258 calories per serve.
Is black bean and corn salad vegetarian?
Yes, this version is vegetarian. It can also be made vegan if you leave out the honey.
Can black bean and corn salad be made ahead?
Yes, for the most part it can be made about 24 hours ahead of time. The only thing that I would not add in advance is the avocado, because it discolours quickly. Cut and add the avocado close to serving time.
If you haven’t subscribed to our newsletter, please do. Click here to subscribe to the newsletter to be notified of our latest recipes.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x 400 gram canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 gram canned corn kernels drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion cut into small dice
- ½ orange capsicum cut into small dice
- 2 x medium tomatoes seeds removed and chopped
- 1 avocado pit removed and diced
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno optional, finely chopped
- Put all dressing ingredients into a jar with a screw top lid, seal and shake well.
- Place all the salad ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables in the bowl, gently toss the vegetables to coat with the dressing. Serve
- This recipe can last for up to 5 days when stored correctly in the fridge. However the avocado will turn brown, to avoid this, leave out the avocado and add just before serving.
- This salad can also be used for meal prepping. If you do, leave out the avocado at the time of making and add on the day of serving.