This is the best bread machine white bread ever! It’s soft, crusty and requires very little effort to prepare. Make this one loaf bread recipe and enjoy the warm and inviting smells of fresh homemade baked bread. With a preparation time of less than 5 minutes, it is the perfect beginner bread recipe, that can be baked in the bread maker or oven.
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- It’s a superb sandwich bread recipe. The bread is firm making it easy to slice without falling apart, but still soft and tender, exactly what you want for sandwich bread. You can cut this bread into sandwich slices without using a home bread slicer.
- This recipe makes 1 x 790-gram loaf in the bread maker or shape the dough to fit a 29 cm x 14.5 cm x 7 cm (high) tin and oven bake.
💭 Recipe Tips
Testing The Yeast Before You Start
Make sure that your yeast is fresh and active before you start the recipe.
If you know that your yeast is fresh and active, there is no need to do this step. However, if you have doubts to its freshness, proof the yeast to determine if it is active.
To proof the yeast:
In a bowl dissolve the yeast and sugar and use about ¾ of a cup of the warm water use in the recipe. Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes (or longer if the room is very cold) it should become foamy.
Read more about proofing yeast and troubleshooting on our “How to use instant yeast” article.
📝 Frequently Asked Questions
Like all fresh bread it’s best eaten the day it’s made. Any remaining bread should be stored in the fridge.
🍳 Step By Step Instructions
Make It Now Instructions
The instructions for making this bread machine white bread with milk powder is as easy as throwing everything into the bread pan, pressing a button, and then letting the machine do its work.
Overnight Bread Instructions
Enjoy this bread first thing in the morning, by using the timer on the bread machine. If you do this, a little more care will be needed when adding the ingredients to the bread pan.
The ingredients will be sitting in the bread maker for serval hours before starting so, you need to keep the yeast away from the water. Once yeast gets wet it becomes active.
Follow this bread machine ingredient order when making the bread overnight. First, add the water, then the butter, sugar, and salt. Next, carefully pile in the flour, making sure that it covers the water and is completely dry on the surface, then add the milk powder and yeast.
Return the bread pan to the machine, set the timer according to the bread machine instructions, and you will wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread.
Tips For Oven Baking
If I have time, I like to bake my bread in the oven rather than the bread maker. I really don’t like the large loaf that my bread maker makes. So, here’s what I do. I use the bread maker to make the dough and allow it to proof in the machine.
Then remove the dough and roll it out into a large square a little bigger than the length of the bread tin.
I will then roll it up (like a Swiss roll) and place it into a light oiled baking tin which is about 29 cm x 14.5 cm x 7 cm (high).
The next step is to cover the dough with plastic, place in a warm area and allow the dough to double in size and fill the tin.
Tip: Brush a little oil on the underside of the plastic. This will prevent the plastic sticking to the dough.
Then brush the top with either water or milk or lightly beaten and bake in a preheated 190°C oven for 30 -35 minutes or until cooked and golden brown.
Remove from the oven, leave the bread in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack and allow to cool before cutting.
🍞 More Bread Recipes
CONNECT WITH RECIPE POCKET
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
📋 Recipe Card
Bread Machine White Bread Recipe
- 325 ml water at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 30 grams butter at room temperature or cold and cut into tiny pieces
- 500 grams white bread flour bakers’ flour
- 15 grams milk powder full cream or skim
- 1 level teaspoon dry instant yeast
- Remove the bread pan from the bread machine and add the water, salt, sugar and butter.
- Sprinkle the flour over the water, ensure the flour covers the water. Add the milk powder and the yeast. Place the bread pan in the bread machine, and close the lid.
- Set the bread machine to the basic bread setting, medium crust. Press start.
- Allow the bread machine to complete the baking cycle. Remove the bread pan from the machine and turn the bread onto a wire rack to cool.
This bread machine white bread recipe was first published on May 19, 2019. Updated March 19, 2020 with additional content and updated images.