This easy chicken with pesto pasta recipe can be made fast! It’s not a colourful dish, but it makes up for it with flavour. A quick and easy pasta recipe made with a few ingredients and its budget friendly too. This quick pasta recipe can be made in just 30 minutes.
If you are looking for a healthy chicken pesto pasta, that can be eaten regularly, this is not the one for you. This dish is best enjoyed once in a while as it is quite heavy in oil, making it very high in calories.
This chicken with pesto pasta comes together fairly quickly and with only eight ingredients. To make this dish quick, I chose to use bottled pesto however, you can use homemade pesto, like this one from Healthy Fitness Meals.
How Do You Use Pesto In A Jar?
For this chicken with pesto pasta recipe, the contents of the bottled pesto are poured into the pot with the rest of the ingredients, then stirred in.
Can You Reheat Pesto Pasta In The Microwave?
If you have leftover chicken pesto pasta, it can be re-heated in the microwave. Add the cold pasta to a microwave oven safe dish, cover and microwave on high for about 1 – 2 minutes.
Check to see if its been heated through, if not give it a stir and cook for another 15 – 30 seconds, repeat until its completely heated.
Tips For Making This Chicken With Pesto Pasta Recipe
- You can make a start on the prep work while you are waiting for the water to come to the boil for the pasta.
- Reduce washing up by using a large deep fry pan, it can be used for frying the other ingredients, and then used as a “mixing bowl” when it comes time to complete the dish. If you don’t have a large frying pan you can transfer everything to a big mixing bowl or use your biggest and deepest saucepan.
- Cut the chicken breast into small thin strips and lightly season with salt. Then fry until golden brown on both sides. This will give added flavour to the dish. Once the chicken is cooked transfer to a plate and put aside for later.
- For this chicken with pesto pasta recipe, I like to also add finely diced onion and garlic to this dish. The onion and garlic are fried in the same pan that the chicken was. There is no need to clean the pan, just add about ½ teaspoon more of oil and fry for about 3-5 minutes or until the onions are soft. Note: If you have burnt charred black bits in the bottom of the pan, give it a clean before cooking the onions.
- When the pasta has cooked, reserve about ¼ cup of the pasta water. I like to use this water to rinse out the remaining pesto from the bottle and mix it in the rest of the ingredients.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes To Try
- Stuffed Pasta Shells With Ricotta and Spinach
- Healthy Cold Pasta Salad
- Cold Chicken Pasta Salad with Mayo
Chicken With Pesto Pasta
- 360 g penne pasta uncooked
- 400 grams chicken breast skinless and boneless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 50 grams baby spinach leaves
- 190 grams bottled pesto pasta sauce
- 40 grams parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water, following the directions on the packet. Drain and reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- Thinly slice the chicken breast, then heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken and fry until cooked and brown on both sides. You may have to cook the chicken in batches. Once cooked transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary, add the onion and garlic, fry for about 3-5 minutes over a medium/high heat or until the onions become soft.
- Return the chicken back to the pan with the spinach, pesto sauce, parmesan, cooked pasta and the reserved pasta water, and mix well.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve with extra grated parmesan cheese on top.