Making brownies with a cake mix is a quick way to whip up something sweet when you don't have time to make it from scratch. It is so simple it just takes five minutes to prep and five ingredients to make.
Brownies with a cake mix are delicious and something you don't need to make from scratch. This recipe is an easy shortcut for making fudgy brownies.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $5.80 or $0.48 a serve
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
You will love this recipe for brownies with a cake mix because:
- It is so simple to prep cake mix brownies you can have these baking in the oven in less than 10 minutes.
- Not only are they easy to make they are rich, fudgy, and delicious too.
- Making brownies from a cake mix is a simple and great way to get kids into baking because they can make it themselves or with little supervision.
- It is a budget-friendly dessert that you can quickly make for busy times like Christmas or Thanksgiving or when you don't feel like or have the time to make them from scratch, like these chocolate orange brownies.
Ingredients In This Recipe
The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
Cake mix - We used a chocolate mud cake mix. The boxed weight was 530 grams (1.16 pounds, 18.5 ounces) and came with a frosting (icing) mix.
You don't need to use the frosting, but you can use it to frost the top of the brownies if you like after it has cooled completely.
Vegetable oil - or use another light-flavored oil.
Eggs - We used large eggs with an average weight of 56 grams (1.9 ounces).
Vanilla extract - for added flavor.
Sweet chocolate chips - we used milk chocolate bits, but you could use your favorite chocolate candy like M&M's, smarties, other candy, or nuts.
- Parchment paper to line the tin or nonstick cooking spray
- 20cm (8 inches) square cake tin or baking dish
Step By Step Instructions
How to make brownies with a cake mix:
Preheat oven to 170°C (350°F). Grease or line the base and sides of a baking tin with parchment paper.
Step 1 - Place the cake mix into a mixing bowl with the eggs, oil, vanilla, and chocolate chips.
Step 2 - Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix until well-combined.
Step 3 - Transfer the batter to the prepared tin.
Step 4 - Use a metal spoon to spread it evenly in the tin, pushing it into the corners.
Step 5 (optional) - Top with extra chocolate chips.
Step 6 - Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and the middle has just set and is no longer wet.
Remove from the oven and place the tin on a wire rack. Leave the brownie to cool completely in the tin before cutting and serving.
Not every cake mix weighs the same. The one we used came with a packet of frosting. The boxed weight was 530 grams (19.4 ounces) and served 10.
- The dry cake mix packet weighed 444 grams (15.65 ounces)
- The icing mix weighed 106 grams (3.75 ounces)
You only need the dry cake mix to make the brownies.
If your cake mix comes with frosting, you can use this as a topping on the brownies if you like.
Make the frosting as instructed on the packet if it does not come premixed, then frost the cold brownie slab before cutting.
Use a square 20cm (8 inches) cake tin or baking dish and line it with parchment paper, so you can easily lift the brownie slab from the cake tin.
About the batter
The batter is thicker than you would get from making a cake from the boxed mix, but this is what you want because brownies are dense and not as light as cakes.
Spreading the batter
If you find it hard to spread the batter, dip a metal spoon in hot water and wipe it dry to make spreading the brownie batter easier.
This recipe makes 12 chocolate brownies. One piece is a serving size.
Calories Per Serve
There are about 258 calories per serving with frosting.
Frosting topping - if the cake mix has a frosting mix, use it as a topping. Make the frosting as instructed on the box, and spread it over the top after the brownie has cooled.
Make different flavors - We used a box of chocolate cake mix, but you can use other cake mixes to make brownies, like strawberry cake mix brownies, red velvet brownies with cake mix, funfetti brownies from a vanilla cake mix, and more.
Refrigeration – These cake box brownies can be stored once cooled in an airtight container for two to three days at room temperature or in the fridge.
Freezing – These can be frozen. Freeze in one big slab that can be cut into pieces when defrosted, which is great for parties.
You could also cut it into individual servings, freeze them in a single layer on a baking tray, and once it has frozen transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or airtight container.
Or individually wrap the pieces in plastic for quick and easy lunch box treats.
More Easy Recipes
If you liked this easy recipe for cake mix brownies you might also like these easy dessert recipes:
I hope you try this easy recipe for brownies with a cake mix. If you do, please come back and leave a comment below because I would love to know how you went.
CONNECT WITH RECIPE POCKET
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
Brownies With A Cake Mix
- 1 x 530 grams (1.16 pounds, 18.5 ounces) boxed chocolate cake mix see cake mix notes below
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips milk, or white
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Frosting - see frosting notes below
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (350°F). Grease or line the base and sides of a 20cm (8 inches) square cake tin or baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place the cake mix into a mixing bowl with the eggs, oil, vanilla, and the add-ins (if using) and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared tin, and use a metal spoon to spread it evenly out in the tin.
- Optional - Scatter chocolate chips over the top of the brownie batter.
- Place into a preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and the middle has just set and is no longer wet.
- Remove from the oven and place the tin on a wire rack. Leave the brownie to cool completely in the tin before cutting and serving.
- The dry cake mix packet weighed 424 grams (14.95 ounces)
- The icing mix weighed 106 grams (3.75 ounces)
Join the Discussion