This creamy slow cooker chicken rice has an unbelievable flavour and is very easy to make. Made with skinless chicken breast and basmati rice this soup is healthy too.
About This Recipe
- It requires very little preparation.
- Can be made in advance.
- Freezes very well.
- It’s budget friendly.
- and tastes delicious.
It might surprise you but, this soup does not have cream in it. It gets its creaminess from the rice and an easy bechamel (white) sauce. The rice is over cooked causing it to break down, giving the soup a lovely thick texture. The bechamel made with whole milk, butter and flour gives the soup a creamy richness.
Because it is a soup without cream, it has just 371 calories per serve, making this chicken and rice soup healthier than most creamy soups.
Tips And Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Leftover Cooked Rice?
You can use 1 ½ cups of left-over cooked rice to make chicken rice soup and add it at the same time you would add the raw rice.
The cooked rice will breakdown quicker than the raw rice so, you can reduce the cooking time by about ½ hour to an hour.
Why Use Basmati Rice?
You can use another white rice for this recipe, however, I prefer to use basmati. Basmati is not as starchy as other rice varieties. Because, it’s not starchy the soup does not thicken to a thick gooey mess when left overnight.
When using basmati rice, I find that this soup does not need to be thinned down the next day, it can be reheated and eaten as is.
Can I Freeze Chicken Rice Soup?
This slow cooker chicken rice soup freezes very well. Cool to room temperature, then place in a freezer bag or container. Allow to thaw and reheat slowly in a saucepan on the stove or use the microwave.
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try
- Sweet Potato Soup With Bacon and Chives
- Chicken Soup With Egg Noodles
- Soto Ayam – Indonesian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Browse all soup recipes
Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Rice Soup
For the Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150 grams onions diced
- 130 grams celery dices
- 70 grams carrot peeled and diced
- 5 garlic cloves crushed and finely chopped
- 100 grams basmati rice uncooked (or any white rice), rinsed and drained or 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 500 grams chicken breast boneless and skinless, remove any fat and cut into half
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 100 grams mushrooms thinly sliced
Bechamel (White) Sauce
- 40 grams butter
- 40 grams plain flour
- 375 ml milk
- 30 grams parmesan cheese grated
- Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Small diced steamed or boiled carrots
- Lightly fried mushroom slices
- In a large fry pan heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, add the onions, celery, and carrot, fry over medium high heat until the onions just turn brown, constantly stirring. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper place in the slow cooker, then add the rice, bay leaf, thyme, dried parsley, mushrooms and chicken stock to the slow cooker. Cover cook for 3-3 ½ hours on high or 5-5 ½ hours on low or until the rice is cooked and broken down.Make the béchamel about 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
How to Make the Bechamel Sauce
- In a small saucepan melt the butter, turn the heat to medium add the flour stir and cook for about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, using a whisk to mix, gradually add the milk a little at a time, whisking well between additions until all the milk is combined and the mixture is lump free.Tip: If your sauce has become lumpy, pass it through a strainer before moving onto the next step.
- Return the saucepan back to a medium heat, using a wooden spoon constantly stir until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.
Finishing the Soup
- Remove the chicken from the soup, put aside and allow to cool slightly.After removing the chicken stir the thickener into the soup and add the mushroom, replace the lid and continue to cook for another 30 minutes. While this is cooking, shred or dice the chicken and add back to the soup and continue to cook for the remaining time.
- Turn the slow cooker off, taste and add salt to taste.
- Tip: If you don’t like your soup this thick adjust the consistency by stirring in chicken stock (or water) a little at a time, until you get a consistency you like and adjust the seasoning.
Love to try this slow cooker chicken rice soup recipe? PIN THIS to your Soup Recipes board on Pinterest.
You Might Like To Try These Easy Recipes
- Easy Soft Dinner Rolls – No Knead
- Crescent Roll Dough
- Bread Machine White Bread Recipe
- Easy Homemade Cheesy Breadsticks
- No Knead Focaccia Bread
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
Mushrooms contain about 90% water.
Image by skeeze from Pixabay