This sweet potato soup with bacon and chives is perfect for chilly days. Easy to make, freezer friendly and can be piled with any number of toppings. Have a big bowl of this soup for dinner or lunch with a simple salad or sandwiches. It would also make a lovely starter for a winter dinner party.
About This Sweet Potato Soup With Bacon and Chives
- It’s a silky-smooth creamy soup and is absolutely delicious.
- Serve it as an easy dinner party starter.
- Eat it as an easy weeknight dinner meal.
- It’s a budget friendly recipe.
- It’s a super easy soup recipe to make.
- It’s gluten free.
Making this soup is very easy. It only takes 50 minutes from start to finish. This soup can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for reheating later.
This soup with sweet potatoes is made with lean bacon, onions, a little white wine, chicken stock and a dash of cream. Pureed until thick and creamy and is full of flavour.
Sweet Potato Soup With Bacon and Chives – FAQ
Is sweet potato soup healthy?
Yes and no.
It really depends on how it’s made. If it’s made with lots of butter/oil, flour and cream it can be very unhealthy.
When you make sweet soup at home you can make it healthier by reducing or eliminating the butter/oil, flour and cream. The soup can be made thick by reducing the liquid or, you could add more sweet potato or normal potatoes to the soup.
This sweet potato soup with bacon and chives is made healthier by:
- using very little butter – I used just enough to soften the onions,
- using lean bacon – I removed all the fat from my bacon,
- and cream was kept to a minimum about ¼ cup for 2 ½ litres of soup.
What is in sweet potato soup?
The ingredients for this sweet potato soup with bacon and chives is very simple. Just enough butter and bacon for flavour, fresh garlic, brown onions, white wine, potato, sweet potato, chicken stock, water, and a dash of cream. For the garnish crispy bacon bits and fresh chopped chives.
How many calories in this sweet potato soup with bacon and chives?
A serving size of this sweet potato soup is just under 2 cups (400 ml, 400 grams, 14 oz). It has about 286 calories and approximately 8 grams of fat. This does not include any garnishes that you might add to it.
How to garnish sweet potato soup?
Pureed soups like sweet potato soup, pumpkin soup, cauliflower soup, potato soup, asparagus soup, tomato soup, carrot and orange soup, and pea soup, are one-colour soups and could use a little garnish for better visual appeal.
With thick soups these, be as creative as you like with what you put on top. Depending on how thick the soup is, the garnishes can sit on top for several minutes before sinking in, leaving you enough time to dish it out and take to the table.
The whole idea of adding a garnish to a soup is to make it look more attractive. So, when considering garnishes for any soup, don’t just think about looks, also consider the taste of the garnish. The garnish you choose to use should not only look good, but it should also taste good with the soup.
Take this sweet potato soup recipe, bacon is part of the soup recipe, so I used crispy bacon bits for garnish. To liven things up, I added chopped chives.
Now, I could have just dumped everything in the middle, but I got a little creative and created a crescent on the side. I love how it looks, especially when the bowls are grouped together.
Here are some other ideas for you:
- You could swirl on some fresh cream, then scatter on chives and bacon.
- Float a dollop of sour cream in the centre of the bowl, and circle with crispy bacon bits and scatter over chopped chives.
- Create an off-centre diagonal line with cream, use a toothpick to “feather the cream” then top with bacon and chives.
- Add croutons, or toast baguette slices with cheese and float on top of the soup.
- Crumble feta cheese over the top or grate on some parmesan cheese.
What can I serve with sweet potato soup?
- Easy Soft Dinner Rolls – No Knead
- Easy Homemade Cheesy Bread Sticks
- Easy Samosa Beef Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls
- Ham and Cheese Pinwheels with Pineapple
- No Knead Focaccia Bread
- Bread Machine White Bread Recipe
- Easy Homemade Naan Bread
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Antipasto Salad
- Mini Corn Muffins
- Open Faced Tuna Melts
- Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Sweet Potato Soup With Bacon and Chives – Hints and Tips
This soup is very easy to make and there aren’t that many hints and tips to give, but;
- For faster cooking, cut the potatoes into tiny pieces. The smaller the pieces the quick they will cook.
- The soup uses a little white wine, but it is optional. I use a cheap wine for cooking, my rule is if it tastes good to me, regardless of price, it’s good enough for cooking.
- If possible, use homemade chicken stock. If not make up a chicken stock using chicken stock cubes or powder.
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try
- Chicken Soup With Egg Noodles
- Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
- Easy Beef Vegetable Soup
- Browse all easy soup recipes
Sweet Potato Soup With Bacon and Chives- Printable Recipe
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup With Bacon and Chives
- Metric scales
- Metric measuring jug or cups
- Cutting board
- Vegetable peeler
- Cutting knife
- Large deep saucepan with lid
- Wooden spoon
- Immersion blender/stick blender
- 30 grams butter
- 140 grams bacon lean, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 150 grams brown onion roughly chopped
- 125 ml dry white wine optional
- 600 grams potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 800 grams sweet potato peeled and roughly chopped
- 750 ml chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 500 ml water
- 60 ml cream
- Crispy fried bacon pieces
- 3- 4 tablespoons finely chopped chives
Additional garnishes (optional)
- Extra cream
- Grated parmesan cheese
- In a deep large saucepan melt the butter, fry the bacon, garlic and onion over high heat until the onions soften – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high, add the white wine, and potatoes, bring to the boil, turn the heat to medium/high and simmer for about 2 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Add the stock and water, turn the heat back up to high, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low/medium heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the heat.
- In the same pan use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Mix in the cream. Taste, and if necessary, adjust the season with salt to taste.
- Serve hot garnished with cream, chives and bacon pieces.
Love to try this recipe for Creamy Sweet Potato Soup With Bacon And Chives. PIN THIS to your Soup Recipes board on Pinterest.
You Might Like To Try These Easy Recipes
- Easy Vegetarian Nachos – Slow Cooker
- Spinach Apple Walnut Salad
- Easy Balti Chicken Recipe
- How To Cook Basmati Rice
- Stuffed Pasta Shells With Ricotta and Spinach
- Green Beans In Tomato Sauce
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
Fresh chives are a rich source of folates, vitamin B and some essential minerals such as copper, iron and manganese.