This fried Ikan Bilis peanuts recipe is a favourite family snack that is loved by everyone who has tried it! You won't find this recipe anywhere else.
This crispy, spicy snack is a delight to eat all year round. Enjoy it on its own, alongside your favourite rice dishes including Nasi Lemak, as a sandwich filling or, savour it as an exotic bar snack. Trust me, once you get a hint of its crunchy goodness, you won’t be able to help yourself from going back for more.
How To Make This Fried Ikan Bilis Peanuts Recipe
Follow these steps:
- Fry the Ikan Bilis until they are golden brown. Drain and put aside.
- Next fry the onions until golden then add the chillies and lime leaves, then mix in sugar and lime juice.
- Return the Ikan Bilis back into the pan with the peanuts and chips mix well, allow to cool and enjoy.
Ingredients For This Crispy Anchovies Snack
Ikan bilis are tiny dried white anchovies. These are often fried until crispy and can be eaten as a snack or used as an ingredient in a number of Asian dishes. Read more about how to use Ikan Bilis here.
Use peanuts that are salted and have the skin removed.
The chips that we use are straw chips. Here in Australia they are sold as French Fries - pictured below, they are not the same as the deep-fried potato chips that you get with fast food. If you can’t get these, you can use plain salted potato chips.
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Kaffir lime leaves are optional and if you can get them use them. The leaves add a lovely citrus flavour to this snack. Alternatively, you could use lemon leaves or leaves from a different lime, these do have a different flavour, but will do.
You will need to wash the leaves, then remove the spine. Do this by turning the leaf upside down, then use a sharp knife to cut the leaf away from the spine. Discard the spine and chop the leaf into very tiny pieces.
Fried Ikan Bilis Peanuts & Potato Chips
- 100 grams (3.52 ounces) ikan bilis tiny dried anchovy
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 200 grams (7.05 ounces) large onion finely chopped
- 6 red chilli seeds removed and finely chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves optional (remove and discard the spine, then finely chop)
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoons white sugar or to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice fresh
- 150 grams (5.3 ounces) peanuts salted
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) straw potato chips or plain salted potato chips <-- see note 1
- Wash the ikan bilis a few times in clean cool tap water – this will help remove excess salt, drain well. Spread the ikan bilis in a single layer on some absorbent paper, and pat dry with another piece. Allow the ikan bilis to air dry for one to two hours.Note: You want the ikan bilis to be as dry as possible, this will help stop oil splatter when you cook them in hot oil.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a fry pan or wok, then fry the Ikan bilis in batches until golden brown and crispy, place on a plate lined with absorbent paper and put aside. Discard the oil and wipe the pan clean.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the clean pan, add the onion and fry until golden brown, add the chillies and lime leaves, stir fry for a few minutes, then add salt, sugar and lime juice. Stir the mixture until it becomes slightly dry, turn the heat down to low and add the ikan bilis, peanuts and chips, mixing until it is well coated.
- Adjust the seasoning if you like with a little more sugar, salt or lime juice.
- Allow to cool, then store in an air tight container.
- Serve as a side dish to Nasil Lemak, enjoy it is a spicy sandwich filling or eat it as a snack.
chips. Note 2 This can be stored for several days at room temperature in an air tight container. However, it usually softens and loses its crispiness. It can be made crispy again by spreading it out in a single layer on a baking tray. Then place in a preheated oven at 150°C for about 4-5 minutes, keep an eye on it, to make sure that it doesn't burn. Remove from the oven, allow to cool on the tray and enjoy. This Fried Ikan Bilis Peanuts and Chips recipe first appeared on recipepocket.com
This post has been updated on 29 July 2019 with new images.