This Italian seasoning mix recipe takes less that 5 minutes to make. No need to buy an Italian seasoning blend when you can make your own. And you may already have everything you need in your pantry.
About This Seasoning Mix Recipe
- It’s quick and easy to make.
- It can be made the way you like it.
- It can be budget friendly using herbs you already have.
What is Italian seasoning made of?
Store bought Italian seasoning is a combination of dried herbs that can include basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, sage and parsley. Seasoning mixes can include all or some of these herbs.
How do you make Italian seasoning from scratch?
The nice thing about making your own Italian seasoning is, that you can make it to suit your own tastes and you know what’s in it.
Italian seasoning can be made by mixing equal parts (or less) of some or all of the following herbs: basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, sage and parsley. You can also include other dried Italian herbs such as sage or tarragon.
If you don’t have all the herbs or don’t like a certain herb, leave it out.
How to store Italian seasoning?
After making this Italian seasoning mix recipe the herbs should be stored in a cool dark place in an airtight container.
Spice it up
Up the flavour of your homemade Italian seasoning by adding a tablespoon or two of garlic powder and or onion powder. For a little heat add a teaspoon or more of dried chilli flakes.
What can Italian seasoning be used for?
Italian seasoning can be used in pasta sauces, marinades for chicken, beef and fish dishes. It can also be used to flavour grilled or baked vegetables, sprinkle over pizzas and homemade focaccia bread. It can also be used in soups and sauces.
If you haven’t subscribed to our newsletter, please do. Click here to subscribe to the newsletter to be notified of our latest recipes.
Italian Seasoning Mix Recipe
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Place all the dried herbs and any of the optional ingredients into a clean, dry glass jar.
- Seal the jar and give a good shake to mix.
- Label and date the jar and store in a cool dark place.
Love to try this Italian Seasoning Mix Recipe? PIN THIS to your Cooking Hints and Tips board on Pinterest.
More Delicious Easy Recipes To Try
- No-knead focaccia bread – you can use this Italian seasoning mix recipe for the topping on this bread.
- Easy homemade cheesy breadsticks – the soft bread sticks are perfect as a snack or for dunking into soup.
- Tomato and red pepper soup – this soup is bursting with flavour.
- Fluffy apricot cake – simple to make and uses canned apricots.
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
The dried leaves of thyme come from a plant called Thymus Vulgaris, a small plant belonging to the mint family.