Make a quick rich, and velvety smooth hot chocolate with chocolate chips. This delicious cold-weather treat is so easy to make.
Made with a few simple ingredients, this winter warming drink is made on the stovetop and can be customized for variety.
Who doesn't enjoy chocolate in some form or another? I certainly do!
It can also be melted into a simple white chocolate sauce, which can be poured over desserts, used as a cake glaze, or added to hot drinks like white hot chocolate or flavored coffee.
And when it's cold outside, there's nothing like a mug of hot chocolate with chocolate chips to welcome friends and family.
- 👛 Cost To Make
- 🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- 🥘 Ingredients In This Recipe
- Can I Use Any Type Of Chocolate Chip?
- How Many Chocolate Chips Should I Use?
- 🍽 Equipment
- 🍳 Step By Step Instructions
- 💭 Recipe Tips
- Can I Use The Microwave Oven To Make Hot Chocolate?
- 👪 Serving Size
- 🍬 Calories Per Serve
- 🥗 Serving Suggestions
- Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate With Chocolate Chips
- 📖 Variations
- 🌡️ Storage
- 📝 Frequently Asked Questions
- 🍲 More Easy Recipes
- 📋 Recipe Card
Indulge in this creamy, chocolatey hot chocolate with chocolate chips, which is sure to satisfy your chocolate craving. With just a few simple ingredients, it can be whipped up in no time, making it a quick and easy treat.
👛 Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $0.63 a serve
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe:
You will love this recipe for hot chocolate with chocolate chips because:
- It is a rich and satisfying drink for warming up on a cold winter's day.
- Enjoy it as a simple dessert or treat.
- This recipe is so simple it can be made in just a few minutes.
- Once you have made this recipe, you won't ever want to go back to instant hot chocolate again.
- You can control the amount of chocolate in the recipe and make it suit your tastes.
- It's free from artificial additives.
- You can easily scale the recipe to make more.
🥘 Ingredients In This Recipe
The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
Dark chocolate chips, whole milk, a little sugar for sweetness, and a pinch of salt are all you need to make this drink.
Can I Use Any Type Of Chocolate Chip?
You can use any type of chocolate chip, including semisweet, milk chocolate chips, white chocolate, or a combination of chocolates.
You could even make it with flavored chocolate chips like peanut butter chips, mint chocolate, butterscotch, or caramel chocolate chips.
But, if you do want to use flavored chocolates like those mentioned above, they can be a lot sweeter than dark chocolate.
So you might like to adjust the amount of sugar (or just leave it out altogether) when making the recipe with any of the above. Otherwise, you could end up with an overly sweet drink.
How Many Chocolate Chips Should I Use?
How much chocolate you use will depend on your tastes and the number of serves you are making.
If you are making this for the first time, start with the amount stated in the recipe, then the next time you make it add more or less of the chocolate chips to adjust the chocolate flavor to a level you like.
You will need a medium saucepan for making the hot chocolate in and a wooden or metal spoon for mixing the chocolate and milk.
🍳 Step By Step Instructions
There are not that many steps involved in this recipe!
All you need to do is place the milk, chocolate bits, and pinch of salt into a small saucepan and bring the milk to almost boiling.
Then mix well, taste it for sweetness, and add sugar to taste if desired. Serve and enjoy.
💭 Recipe Tips
Use a good quality chocolate
For the best-tasting hot chocolate, drink use a good quality one because it will make a big difference to the flavor and texture of the drink.
Don't let it come to a boil
Stop heating the milk when you see bubbles forming on the milk around the inside edges of the pot, it is hot enough to melt the chocolate.
If you let the milk come to a boil the hot chocolate drink can be a little grainy.
If it has come to a boil and becomes grainy, the hot chocolate is not ruined and is still drinkable, but it won't be velvety smooth.
Adjust the sweetness
If you like your drinks sweet, add a little more sugar or leave it out for a drink that is not overly sweet.
Can I Use The Microwave Oven To Make Hot Chocolate?
To make hot chocolate with chocolate chips in the microwave oven.
Place a single serving of milk and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe mug and microwave on high for one minute or a little longer until the milk becomes hot.
But don't let it come to a boil because this can cause the chocolate to seize and become grainy.
Once the milk is heated, stir the milk with a spoon to mix in the melted chocolate bits, taste for sweetness, and add sugar if you like.
Serve with marshmallows or homemade whipped cream.
👪 Serving Size
This recipe makes a one cup serving of hot chocolate.
🍬 Calories Per Serve
There are about 224 calories in a serving and this does not include toppings.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
- Top it with a plain or flavored whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder or chocolate shavings.
- Serve it as an indulgent treat with a side of cookies, red velvet brownies, or other chocolatey treats.
- Pair it with sweet snacks like these Greek cookies, chocolate chip cookies, mini marshmallows, white chocolate fudge, candy canes or other mints, mini Easter eggs, or other themed related sweet treats to make a hot chocolate grazing board for occasions like Christmas or Easter.
- Serve it in a mug with a fun holiday design or pattern to make it more visually appealing.
- Garnish it simply with a sprig of mint or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
As you can see making hot chocolate with chocolate chips is easy to do, and you can add other ingredients for added flavor, such as:
- Use extracts like vanilla, peppermint, or almond for a flavorful twist.
- Mixing in spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or chili powder can give it an aromatic flavor.
- Top it with flavored cream like maple whipped cream, cinnamon whipped cream, or caramel whipped cream for a light and airy texture and a hint of sweetness.
- Drizzle in some Dulce de Leche caramel sauce can give the hot chocolate a rich, caramel flavor.
- Add a splash of liqueur like Kahlua, Bailey's, or Grand Marnier to give it a boozy kick.
- Add marshmallows and let these melt into hot chocolate for a gooey, sweet texture.
Leftover hot chocolate can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge.
It can be reheated in the microwave oven or a saucepan on the stove, but don't allow it to boil.
📝 Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, no! It just would not taste the same.
Yes, milk and most chocolate chips are gluten-free but do check the labels of the chocolate to be certain.
🍲 More Easy Recipes
I hope you try this recipe for hot chocolate with chocolate chips If you do, please come back and leave a comment below because I would love to know how you went.
CONNECT WITH RECIPE POCKET
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
📋 Recipe Card
Hot Chocolate With Chocolate Chips
- ¾ cup milk of any kind
- 2 - 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips add to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste, optional
- pinch of salt optional
Topping ideas (optional)
- mini marshmallows
- whipped cream
- Heat the milk and chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat until the milk becomes steamy and bubbles form around the sides of the pan but don't allow it to boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the sugar (if using) and salt (if using) and stir well until the chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Serve hot with desired toppings.