This lime coconut cake is one of the easiest cakes to make, just put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. The cake tastes better when eaten the next day. If you don’t have limes, you can use lemons.
When I first made this cake, I was a little disappointed. The taste and texture of the cake was a little dry and did not have much flavour.
Rather than throwing it away, I covered it plastic food wrap and left it the fridge overnight. The next day, I allowed it to come to room temperature and tasted it again. The lime and coconut flavours had developed, the cake had become moist, and I loved it.
So, to really enjoy this cake make it one day before you are going to serve it, to get the best flavours and texture.
If you haven’t subscribed to our newsletter, please do. Click here to subscribe to the newsletter to be notified of our latest recipes.
Lime Coconut Cake Recipe
For the cake
- 225 grams self-raising flour
- 45 grams desiccated coconut lightly toasted in a dry fry pan
- Zest of two small limes
- 180 grams white sugar
- 125 grams melted salted butter
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 250 ml buttermilk room temperature
- 170 grams icing sugar sifted
- 70 grams desiccated coconut toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Up to 4 tablespoons lime juice
Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F)
Grease and line a 20 cm deep round cake pan
- MAKE THE CAKE– Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.– Add the toasted coconut, lime zest, sugar, butter, eggs, and milk to the flour. Mix with a large spoon until well combined.– Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing the top.– Bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked – the cake is cooked when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.– Remove from the oven. Allow the cake to stand in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Allow the cake to cool completely, then apply the coconut icing
- MAKE THE ICING– In a bowl combine the icing sugar, coconut, and lime zest mix well.– Add just enough lime juice to the icing mixture to make a stiff, spreadable mixture.
You May Like These Easy Recipes