If you love easy appetizers then make this onion soup dip because this is a crowd pleaser. Made with 3 ingredients sour cream, mayonnaise, and onion soup mix this dip is super simple to make.
This onion soup dip is quick to make and delicious. Serve it for game nights, parties, or any time you want a tasty snack.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $3.65 or $0.36 a serve
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
You will love this onion soup dip recipe because:
- You can easily make this dip in less than 5 minutes.
- This homemade onion dip can be scaled or reduced for large or small gatherings.
- You can adjust the flavors in this dip to suit you.
- It can be prepared several days in advance and it does get better with age.
Ingredients In This Recipe
The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Sour cream - we suggest using a full-fat sour cream but you can also use a light sour cream if you prefer.
- Mayonnaise - use a good quality mayonnaise and one you like the taste of because not every band of mayonnaise tastes the same.
- Dry onion soup mix - choose a packet of soup you mix with water to make one liter (1.75 pints/4 cups) of soup. Rather than ones that are single cup serves. Use this recipe for a dry onion soup mix if you can't buy it.
Step By Step Instructions
This onion dip could not be any easier. Place the sour cream and mayonnaise into a bowl, then mix in to taste the dry onion soup mix, to avoid an overly salty dip because some brands of soup mixes can be very salty.
Transfer the mixture to a serving dish, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve chilled with chips, crackers, or veggie sticks.
For the best-tasting dip use the best quality ingredients you can get.
Dip too salty?
If you happen to find that the soup you are using has made the dip too salty, you can mix in to taste more sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
This recipe makes about 400 grams (14 ounces) of onion dip, and a serving size is about three level tablespoons.
Calories Per Serve
Each serving has about 109 calories.
Serve this easy dip with any of the following:
- Potato chips
- Veggie sticks
- Pita chips
- Tortilla chips
- Or use it as a spread on toast.
Make it lighter and healthier by replacing part or all of the sour cream with plain Greek yogurt.
Refrigeration – This dip can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
This onion dip will keep for about 5 days stored in a sealed container in the fridge.
If you can not buy a packet of dry onion soup, make your own with our recipe for an onion soup mix substitute.
I do hope that you try this recipe for onion soup dip. If you do, please come back and leave a comment below because I would love to know how you went.
3 Ingredient Onion Soup Dip
- 300 grams (14 ounces) of sour cream
- ¼ cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 40 grams (1.4 ounces /1 envelope) dry onion soup mix add to taste
- Place the sour cream and mayonnaise into a bowl, then mix in to taste one to two teaspoons of the dry onion soup mix at a time, to avoid an overly salty dip because some brands of soup mixes can be very salty.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving dish, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled with chips, crackers, or veggie sticks.