Make this dry onion soup mix substitute - it is better than the store-bought stuff because you know what is in it. Use it to make soup, dips, casseroles, meatloaf, and more.
An easy onion soup mix substitute made with simple pantry ingredients. Use it to make soup, dips, casseroles, meatloaf, and more.
👛 Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $3.33 or $0.41 a serve
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe:
You will love this recipe for an onion soup mix substitute because:
- Making your onion soup mix means you know what is in it.
- You can adapt it to suit your tastes.
- This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, has no added sugar, and is msg free.
🥘 Ingredients In This Recipe
The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
This homemade onion soup mix has the following ingredients:
- Dried onion flakes
- Dried parsley
- Onion powder
- Black pepper - use a finely ground black pepper or black pepper powder.
- Turmeric powder - gives the soup a light yellow color. Don't add too much because it can be overpowering. If you don't have turmeric powder, make the recipe without it.
- Garlic powder
- Stock powder or granules, beef, chicken, or vegetable
- Celery seeds (optional)
- Salt (optional)
🍳 Step By Step Instructions
This recipe could not be any easier. All you need to do is measure the ingredients and mix them.
👪 Serving Size
This recipe makes about 80 grams (2.8 ounces, ½ cup, 8 tablespoons) of soup mix and serves 8.
🍬 Calories Per Serve
A single serving of this soup mix has about 19 calories.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
- Make a quick cup of soup by mixing one tablespoon of this dry onion soup mix in 200 ml (7 ounces) of boiling water. Let it stand for a few minutes for the dried onions to soften.
- You can also use this onion soup mix substitute to make a quick onion dip that tastes great with chips, veggies, or crackers.
- You can even use it to add flavor to a meatloaf like our recipe for onion soup mix meatloaf, casseroles, mashed potatoes, stews, rice or our ground beef sliders.
- Or use it as a meat rub.
French onion soup mix - use beef stock powder.
Vegan or Vegetarian onion soup mix - make it without beef or chicken stock, or use vegetable stock powder.
🍴 How To Use
Use this soup mix in any recipe that uses an onion soup mix. This substitute is equal to 2 envelopes of onion soup mix.
After making the dry onion soup mix, transfer it to a dry and airtight container or glass jar with a lid and store it in the pantry or your spice cabinet.
We like to place 2-3 silica gel packets into the onion mix.
These moisture-absorbent packets are great for keeping garlic and onion powder fresh and dry.
Garlic and onion powder when stored for a long time, absorb moisture and clump into one solid mass, which is difficult to work back into a powder.
This may not be a problem if it is being dissolved in a liquid, but if you are mixing it with meat to make meatloaf or in a dip you don't want those lumpy bits.
📝 Frequently Asked Questions
If stored correctly and kept dry homemade onion soup mix will last for several months.
French onion soup mix is made with beef stock and onion soup mix can be made with chicken, beef, or vegetable stock.
I hope that you try this recipe for an onion soup mix substitute. If you do, please come back and leave a comment below because I would love to know how you went.
CONNECT WITH RECIPE POCKET
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
📋 Recipe Card
Onion Soup Mix Substitute
- ¼ cup (14 grams / 0.49 ounces) dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 ½ tablespoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons stock powder beef, chicken, or vegetable
- ½ level teaspoons turmeric powder optional
- 1 teaspoons salt optional
- Mix everything until well combined and store in a dry airtight container in a cool dry area.
- Use half of this recipe to 1 packet of store store-bought soup mix.