Making oven baked sweet potatoes at home is very simple to do. This quick recipe will give you soft and sweet baked potato halves, that can be used to make loaded and stuffed sweet potatoes. The flesh can also be cooled and mashed to make many sweet and savoury dishes.
About This Recipe
- Gluten free
- High in fibre
- Preservative free
- Easy to make
Can You Roast Sweet Potatoes With The Skin On?
Yes, sweet potato can be roasted with the skin on. When roasting with the skin on make sure to give it a good scrub and wash before baking.
Can You Eat Sweet Potato Skin?
Yes, the skin is edible. The skin of baked sweet potatoes is fibre rich and contains potassium. In fact, the skin is more nutritious baked than boiled.
Tips For Making Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Before baking give the sweet potatoes a good wash and scrub under clean running water.
- Cut away any visible insect damage and black areas.
- Sweet potatoes should be cut close to the time they are to be cooked. When the cut surface of a sweet potato is exposed to air, it will change colour and start to turn black.
- Sweet potatoes can be baked with or without oil.
- Cut large thick sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, this will reduce the baking.
- Small thin sweet potatoes can be left whole when baked.
How Long To Bake Sweet Potatoes At 400°F (200°C)?
Keep the following in mind when baking sweet potatoes. The length of time to bake a sweet potato will depend its size and oven temperature.
Sweet potatoes all vary in size, with some very small and others large and thick. When roasting, choose ones of a similar size, or cut them into even sized pieces.
Oven temperature do vary so, when it comes to cooking time, use the timing as a guide only.
So how long does it take to bake a sweet potato?
Using the potatoes that I baked for this post as an example. The oven was preheated to 400°F (200°C). I used two very large sweet potatoes both weighing over 800 grams each.
If they where left whole, it would have taken well over one hour to bake in my oven. To speed up the cooking process, the potatoes where cut in half lengthwise, which reduced the cooking time around 40 minutes.
How to Tell When They Are Cooked
To test if the sweet potato is cooked, poke it with a fork or knife. The potato should feel soft and the fork should glide all the way through.
Do Baked Sweet Potatoes Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes, once baked and cooled they do need to be refrigerated.
Recipes Using Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes
Try one or all of these easy sweet potato recipes:
- Roast Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Savoury sweet potato muffins
- Sweet potato casserole with marshmallows – by flavormosaic.com
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole – by everdaymaven.com
See Our Stories
Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- Vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F)
- Scrub and wash the sweet potatoes and dry with a clean tea towel.
- Remove any black bits and visible insect damage.
- If the potatoes are uneven in size, cut them into even sized pieces.
- Place the sweet potatoes onto a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and season with salt. Use your hands to toss and coat the potato in the oil.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes, then test to see if they are done by poking with a fork.If they are cooked, the fork will pass through very easily, if there is resistance they will need further cooking.Please note: The cooking time will vary depending on how big or small your potato pieces are.
- Remove from the oven when they are done. The potatoes can be enjoyed as a side dish or used as an ingredient for many sweet and savoury dishes.