What is quick bread? Quick breads are types of breads made without yeast and can be baked immediately. These breads use either baking powder, baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), eggs or a combination of these to ensure a rise as the food is cooked.
Quick Bread Examples
There are three types of quick breads; thin batters, stiff batters and soft dough’s.
Thin batter quick breads include popovers (a light roll made from egg batter cooked in a muffin tin) and griddle cakes (small pancakes).
Stiff batter quick breads include muffins, fruit and nut loaves and coffee cakes.
Soft dough quick breads include yeast free doughnuts, soda bread, cornbread and scones (baking powder biscuits).
Quick Bread – FAQ
What causes a quick bread to rise?
It’s the leavening agents that cause quick breads to rise. When baking powder and baking soda become wet, a chemical reaction occurs causing the production of bubbles. It’s this reaction that helps the batter expand and rise during cooking.
How long will quick breads stay fresh?
Quick breads are freshest and at their best soon after baking and are usually not as good the next day. However, there are some recipes that improve with age.
How to store quick bread?
To store quick breads, cool to room temperature, then tightly wrap in plastic food wrap or store in an airtight container.
Depending on the recipe some quick breads with keep fresh for a couple of days at room temperature or they can be kept for up to a week in the fridge.
Can quick bread frozen?
Yes, quick breads can be frozen. When the bread is cold, tightly wrap in plastic food wrap or place in a freezer bag. It can be frozen for 2- 3 months.
Can you refrigerate quick bread batter?
Yes, it can be refrigerated for up to 30 minutes if necessary, with a leavening agent added but, no longer. This is because once the leavening becomes wet it starts to produce bubbles. The bubbles are needed for the recipe to rise during baking.
If you wanted to make the batter the day before, keep the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Store the wet ingredients in the fridge overnight and mix the wet and dry together just before baking.
Why does my quick bread taste soapy?
If too much baking soda is used in the recipe, you will get a soapy taste in the food.
Whats the difference between quick bread and cake?
Quick breads are generally made by combining wet and dry ingredients into two separate bowls. The wet ingredients are then added to the dry and mixed until just combined.
Cakes are usually made by creaming butter and sugar followed by the gradual addition of the other ingredients.
What causes quick breads to be dense?
Over mixing can cause quick bread to become dense. So, it’s important to hand mix the batter to the point where the wet and dry ingredients just incorporate. For me this is usually between 20 – 30 stirs of the mixture.
Quick Bread Recipes
10 Savoury Loaf Quick Bread
- Easy beer bread – makes 1 loaf (recipepocket.com)
- Olive, bacon and cheese bread – makes 1 loaf (eatwell101.com)
- Irish potato bread – makes 1 loaf (bunnyswarmoven.net)
- Mozzarella and parmesan buttermilk quick bread – makes 1 loaf (aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com)
- Caramelized onion and spinach olive oil quick bread – makes 1 loaf (tastykitchen.com)
- Baking powder bread with potato – makes 1 loaf (bitefromthepast.wordpress.com)
- Yeast free white bread – makes 1 loaf (food.com)
- Homemade rustic no yeast bread – makes 1 loaf (anitalianinmykitchen.com)
- No yeast focaccia – makes 1 loaf (mouthsofmums.com)
- Spring onion and cheese soda bread – makes 1 loaf (sainsburysmagazine.co.uk)
10 Sweet Loaf Quick Breads
- Banana bread -makes 1 loaf (recipepocket.com)
- Cranberry, orange and walnut bread with orange glaze – makes 1 loaf (foodtasia.com)
- Pumpkin spice bread – makes 2 loaves (thebusybaker.ca)
- Apple bread – makes 1 loaf (houseofyumm.com)
- Cinnamon swirl bread – makes 1 loaf (platedcravings.com)
- Healthy zucchini bread – makes 1 loaf (cookieandkate.com)
- Gluten free cinnamon rolls with no yeast – makes 10 (veggiebalance.com)
- Peanut butter bread – makes 1 loaf (upstateramblings.com)
- Almond blueberry yogurt bread – makes 1 loaf (melissassouthernstylekitchen.com)
- Lemon pudding poppyseed bread – makes 1 loaf (togetherasfamily.com)
10 Scone and Baking Powder Biscuits
- Buttermilk scones (sweet) – makes 16 (recipepocket.com)
- Cheese and bacon scones (savoury) – makes 13 (recipepocket.com)
- Easy homemade biscuits recipe – makes 6 (cleverlysimple.com)
- Chocolate chip scones – makes 10 (thebusybaker.ca)
- Strawberries and cream scones – makes 8 (bakerbynature.com)
- Lemon and raspberry scones – makes 8 (aberdeenskitchen.com)
- Glazed cranberry orange scones – makes 16 (insideburcew.com)
- Cinnamon bun scones (bakeorbreak.com)
- Apple pecan scones – makes 8 (greatbrubdelicioustreats.com)
- Blueberry lemon scones – makes 14 (tutti-dolci.com)
10 Coffee Cakes
- New York crumb cake (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Carrot coffee cake with cream cheese glaze (theviewfromgreatisland.com)
- Sour cream coffee cake (thefoodcharlatan.com)
- Cinnamon sour cream cake (365daysofbakingandmore.com)
- Apple coffee cake (serenabakessimplyfromscratch.com)
- Raspberry cream cheese coffee cake (omgchocolatedesserts.com)
- Greek yogurt coffee cake (belleofthekitchen.com)
- Pumpkin spice coffee cake (handletheheat.com)
- Banana bread coffee cake (yourcupofcake.com)
- Toffee almond streusel coffee cake (lifeloveandsugar.com)
10 Griddle Cake (Small Pancakes)
- Homemade pancakes – makes 10 (tasteoflizzyt.com)
- Cranberry griddle cakes – makes about 2 dozen (nationalfestivalofbreads.com)
- Bacon and corn griddle cakes – makes 8 (recipegirl.com)
- Cornmeal griddle cakes – makes 12 (bhg.com)
- Griddle corn cakes (cuisineart.com)
- Sweet potato pancakes – makes 8 (julieseatsandtreats.com)
- Buttermilk pancakes – makes 8 (sugarspunrun.com)
- Chocolate chip pancakes -makes 8 (sugarspiceandfamilylife.com)
- Hot chocolate pancakes (handletheheat.com)
- Apple fritter pancakes – makes 12 (crazyforcrust.com)
10 Muffin Recipes
- Blueberry banana muffins – makes 12 (recipepocket.com)
- Sweet potato muffins with pecans and crumble topping – makes 12 (recipepocket.com)
- Savoury sweet potato muffins – makes 12 (recipepocket.com)
- Banana bread muffins – makes 12 (justsotasty.com)
- Lemon coconut muffins – makes 12 (bake-eat-repeat.com)
- Pumpkin cheesecake muffins – makes 12 (sallysbakingadiction.com)
- Apple cinnamon muffins – makes 12 (tasteandtellblog.com)
- Zucchini muffins – makes 16 (simplejoy.com)
- Pistachio muffins – makes 12 (thestayathomechef.com)
- Strawberry coffee cake muffins – makes 12 (yummiestfood.com)