This recipe for Balti chicken is easy to make with boneless chicken thigh fillets, although chicken pieces on the bone can be used. Made from scratch, you control the heat in this dish by the amount of chilli you use. This one-pot recipe produces a thick and aromatic sauce that will keep you going back for more.
Step By Step Recipe For Balti Chicken
In a deep saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over a medium heat, then add the diced onions and fry until they become lightly golden brown.
Add the sliced tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat, mixing well, scraping the bottom of the pan as you do.
Add the garlic, ginger, peppercorns, spices, chilli powder, salt and stir for 3- 5 minutes, being careful not to burn the mixture. Turn down the heat to low if necessary.
Add the chicken pieces to the pot, mixing the chicken until it is well coated in the mixture. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Then add the yogurt and ¼ cup of water, cover with a lid, turn down the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Stir several times to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
The liquid in the pot should have increased slightly. If not, it’s okay to add a little more water while it is cooking.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, turn off the heat. Mix in the lemon juice, coriander leaves and chillies. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary
Serve this recipe for Balti chicen with basmati rice and Indian style vegetables. This chicken curry also makes a nice naan bread wrap filling, with crunchy lettuce, tomato slices, cucumber and yogurt.
Balti Chicken – Printable Recipe
Easy Recipe For Balti Chicken
- 750 grams skinless boneless, chicken thigh fillets (Can also use chicken on the bone – refer to Note 1 below)
- salt to season the chicken
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 360 grams onion sliced (about 3 medium size)
- 300 grams tomatoes cut in half and sliced (about 3 medium size)
- 2.5 cm cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoon natural yogurt
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 fresh green chillies chopped optional
- Lightly season the skinless chicken pieces with salt, rub the salt into the meat and put aside.
- On medium heat, heat the oil in a large deep pan. Add the sliced onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, mix well and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamoms, peppercorns, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, gram masala, chilli powder and salt and stir fry for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Next add the chicken pieces, mixing the chicken into the spices and cook the chicken for 10 minutes and occasional stir.
- Add the yogurt and ¼ cup water and mix well.
- Lower the heat and cover with a lid. Cook for about 15 – 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir several times during cooking to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add a little water if the sauce is looking a bit dry and sticking to the bottom of the pot. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice, coriander leaves and green chillies. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
The bacteria in yogurt converts the milk into lactic acid making it easier to digest. Read more here.