Healthy and easy, this recipe for roasted tomato and red pepper soup is quick to make. Fresh tomatoes, red pepper (capsicum) and onions are slowly roasted to bring out their natural flavours. This soup is low in calories and high in taste.
About This Recipe
- gluten free,
- a suitable vegetarian and vegan recipe
- an easy homemade vegetable soup
- healthy and low fat
Step By Step Instructions
Cut tomatoes in half, remove the seeds from the bell peppers and cut into bite size pieces, roughly chop the onions, peel the garlic, and mix the lot together with a little oil and little salt. Place on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
Place the baked vegetables into a large saucepan, add water, zucchini and herbs. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid, simmer for 10 minutes. Puree and enjoy.
- There is no need to remove the skin and seeds from the tomatoes, it’s something that I never do. The skin will be pureed into the soup at the last stage of making.
- If you want to remove the seeds, you can pass the soup through a sieve after the soup has been pureed. This will result in a smoother soup.
- Watch the veggies as they roast, you don’t want burnt bits.
- If you want the soup to be red in colour you must peel the zucchini before adding it to the soup. If you don’t, when the soup is pureed, you’ll end up with a greenish looking soup.
- Safety precaution – if you are using a food processor to puree the soup, allow the soup to cool before doing so. If you don’t steam can build up when processing, which can cause the lid to blow to off and spray out hot liquid.
- We like the soup how it’s made, but if you like a creamy soup, you could add 2- 3 tablespoons milk powder (or to taste) or add some milk or cream to make it a little thinner and creamier.
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
- 1 kg tomatoes cut in half
- 130 grams red onion roughly chopped
- 130 grams red bell peppers capsicum seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1.25 litres water
- 300 grams zucchini peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
Preheat oven 200°C
- Place the tomatoes, red onion, bell peppers and garlic into a large mixing bowl, drizzle on the olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper, toss well.
- Place the seasoned vegetable on to a baking tray in a single layer.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the vegetables.
- Place in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and cooked.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables and the juices to a deep saucepan. Add the water, zucchini, dried herbs and sugar.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Use a blender or stick blender to puree until fine. If you are using a blender allow the soup to cool before blending.
- Taste for salt and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- If you like a smooth soup pass it through a strainer before serving.
You may also like these soup recipes