Slow cooker chicken stuffed bell peppers are not only delicious but, so easy to put together! Tender ground chicken, finely diced veggies, panko breadcrumbs, ham and parmesan cheese are cooked and served in tender and sweet yellow bell peppers (capsicums).
About This Recipe
- It’s budget friendly.
- Can be prepared up to four days in advance.
- Leftovers can easily be reheated in the microwave making them great for a work lunch.
- These chicken stuffed peppers are great as a light dinner when served with a salad.
- These stuffed bell peppers are made without rice.
Here’s what you need for these Slow Cooker Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers.
You will need 6 very large bell peppers for this recipe or more if you are using smaller ones, with a total weight of just over 1.2 kg.
You will also need lean chicken mince (ground), onion, carrot, celery, garlic, dry red wine, lean ham, fresh parsley, panko breadcrumbs, and canned diced tomato.
To make the filling for these stuffed peppers, fry the onions, carrot, celery and garlic until the onions turn translucent. Add the chicken mince and cook until it is no longer pink. While cooking the chicken mince break it up into tiny pieces.
Add the red wine and simmer until the wine has evaporated (the mixture should be almost dry), season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Mix in the remaining ingredients, taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
Cut the tops of the bell peppers, use a sharp knife to remove the seeds and membrane. Spoon the filling into the bell peppers and lightly compact into place.
Pour the canned tomato into the bowl of the slow cooker, season with a little salt. Stand the chicken stuffed bell peppers into the slow cooker with the cut side up and put the tops back on.
Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
To Make Ahead Of Time
The bell peppers can be prepared up to to step 7 in the recipe, covered and stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
When ready to cook, empty the can of tomatoes into the bowl of the slow cooker, add stuffed bell peppers and cook as directed in the recipe.
More Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes To Try
- Easy Vegetarian Nachos
- Lamb in Red Wine Sauce
- Meatball In Tomato Sauce
- Beef Stew With Balsamic Vinegar
- Browse all Slow cooker recipes
Or try these crock pot stuffed bell pepper recipes
- Low Carb Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
- Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers – (beef filling)
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers – (vegetarian)
If you haven’t subscribed to our newsletter, please do. Click here to subscribe to the newsletter to be notified of our latest recipes.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers
cheese. These stuffed peppers are soft and full of flavour.
- Knife and chopping board
- Metric scales
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large frying pan/skillet
- Slow Cooker/Crockpot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 220 grams onion finely chopped
- 60 grams carrot finely chopped
- 60 grams celery finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 450 grams chicken mince
- 125 ml dry red wine
- 60 grams lean ham finely chopped
- 75 grams parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 100 grams panko breadcrumbs
- 6 – 9 large yellow orange or red capsicum (bell peppers) (about 1.2 kg)
- 1 x 400 grams canned tomato puree or diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in the fry pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onion turns translucent (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add the chicken mince, season with salt and pepper to taste. While cooking the mince, stir often and break into smaller pieces. Cook until the chick is no longer pink.
- Add the wine, bring to the boil, turn the heat to medium/high and cook until the mixture is almost dry. Constantly stir the mixture while reducing the liquid. Turn off the heat and allow the chicken to cool slightly.
- Stir in the ham, cheese, parsley and breadcrumbs, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary..
- Cut the tops off the capsicums and remove the stems and seeds.
- Stuff the peppers with the filling and lightly compact the filling into place.Note: At this stage the capsicums can be refrigerated and cooked later, It can be prepared up to 3-4 days in advance. However, do make sure that chicken is fully cooked if you do.
- Pour the tomato paste or diced tomatoes into the slow cooker, season with a little salt and pepper.
- Arrange the capsicum in a single layer in the cooker, place the capsicum tops on.
- Put the lid on the cooker, turn on high and cook for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours, or until the capsicum is tender when poked with a skewer.
- Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from “The Italian Slow Cooker” by Michele Scicolone