Made from scratch this slow cooker beef and pork ragu is rich in flavour and very easy to make. Prepared with a few simple ingredients this ragu requires minimal effort to make the best pasta sauce ever.
About This Ragu
- This recipe uses a combination of minced beef and minced pork. We choose to use a combination of meat because we like the flavour. It is also a way to reduce the strong flavour and smell that you can get with pork sometimes.
- It’s a great budget friendly family meal that is healthy and hearty.
- This recipe is great for freezer meal prep because, it is freezes and reheats very well.
Bacon – adds flavour and seasoning to the sauce. Choose a lean bacon or trim away the excess to cut down on the fat.
Ground Beef and Pork – if you can choose lean ground pork and ground beef, to make a sauce that is not greasy and heavy.
Onion, carrot and celery – these vegetables add flavour and bulk to the sauce. If you have fussy young children you can “hide” the vegetables by grating the carrot and finely chopping the celery and onion.
Beef stock – for convenience we just make some up with stock cubes.
Canned tomato and tomato paste – add a richness to the sauce because they have been cooked for a long time to bring out a rich tomato flavour.
Red wine – adds flavour and also help to make the meat tender. You do not need an expensive wine for this recipe.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – Remove the excess fat from the bacon and cut into small dice. Heat the oil in a large frying pan add the bacon and cook until it burns brown. This can take about 5 minutes over a medium high heat.
Step 2 – Turn down the heat and add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery, cook for about 5 minutes more or until the vegetables are soft. Occasionally stir the mixture as it cooks.
Step 3 – Next add the ground pork and ground beef and turn the heat back to high and cook. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break the meat into tiny pieces. Cook until the meat has turned from pink to brown.
Step 4 – Pour in the wine and continue to cook on high for about 2-3 minutes.
Step 5 – Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
Step 6 – Add the tomato puree, diced tomatoes, stock, oregano and bay leaf.
Step 7 – Stir well, cover with a lid and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.
Step 8 – When ready, taste the beef and pork ragu for seasoning and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt. Serve hot over pasta.
What to Serve with Ground Beef and Pork Ragu?
Turn this beef and pork ragu into and extra special meal make your own homemade pasta. It’s not as hard a you think and homemade is so much better than store bought.
Tips And Frequently Asked Questions
Can you freeze ragu?
Yes, this beef and pork ragu can be frozen. For convenience and for easy dinners, portion the ragu into individual serves (or family size serves). Allow the mixture to come to room temperature, then place into freezer safe containers and freeze for up to three months.
Slow Cooker Ground Beef and Pork Ragu
- Large frying pan/skillet
- Slow cooker
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 100 grams bacon diced
- 200 grams onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 75 grams carrot chopped
- 50 grams celery stalk diced
- 250 grams pork mince
- 250 grams lean beef mince
- 125 grams (125 ml) red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 400 grams can diced tomatoes
- 300 grams (300 ml) beef stock
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add the bacon and fry over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add the onion garlic, carrot and celery and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground pork and beef, turn the heat to high and cook. As you cook the meat break it into tiny pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula. For about 10 minutes or until the meat has turned from pink to brown.
- Pour in the wine and cook on high for about 2-3 minutes, to cook of the alcohol. Season the mixture to taste with salt.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomato puree, diced tomatoes, stock, oregano and bay leaf. Put the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Before serving taste the ragu and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with pasta.
More Delicious Recipes To Try
- Easy 3 ingredient pork chops
- Slow cooker beef stroganoff
- Slow cooker baked egg custard
- Browse all slow cooker recipes
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
Pasta was first discovered in China as early as 5,000 B.C. It was later brought over to Italy by Marco Polo, where it become very popular.