This slow cooker lamb in red wine sauce recipe is so easy. Bite-size pieces of diced lamb are slow cooked, and braised in a thick rich, red wine sauce until tender. Served with either pasta or mashed potatoes and crusty fresh bread, this is perfect for an easy family dinner or a causal meal with friends.
How to Make Lamb In Red Wine Sauce
- Pan fry pieces of diced lamb until evenly browned, transfer to the slow cooker. Make a sauce by, sautéing the onion, bacon and garlic, then mix in the flour, stock, tomato puree, sugar and rosemary. Bring to the boil and adjust the seasoning.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and spoon over the lamb pieces in the slow cooker. Add the whole cherry tomatoes. Cover with a lid, cook on high for 5 – 6 hours or until the lamb is tender.
1. What Cut Of Lamb To Use?
Lamb leg with the bone in, can be used for this recipe, remove the fat, cut the meat away from the bone, and then cut the meat into bite-size pieces.
However, you can take the easy option, and save a bit of time and effort by purchasing lamb chump steaks and cut into cubes or buy diced lamb pieces.
If a whole leg of lamb is used, keep the bone and add it to the slow cooker at the start of the cooking process. The bone will give added flavour to the dish. Before serving remove the bone.
2. Don't Overcook The Meat
Check to see if the meat is tender after about 4 - 5 hours of low cooking (or 2 - 21/2 hours of high cooking). If the meat is nice and tender turn the slow cook off. If not, keep cooking and testing every half hour or so until you are happy with the tenderness of the meat.
If you overcook the meat you will end up with shredded meat, rather than tender chunks.
Looking for more easy slow cooker meals? Try one of these!
Meatballs In Tomato Sauce - These homemade ground beef meatballs are juicy, tender, and a little spicy. Made with freshly grated parmesan cheese, garlic, and red chillies, then slowly cooked in a tasty tomato, basil, and garlic sauce.
CONNECT WITH RECIPE POCKET
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
📋 Recipe Card
Diced Lamb In Red Wine Sauce
- 6 lt Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 900 grams lamb leg fat removed and cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes
- 100 grams lean bacon diced
- 250 grams brown onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Lightly season the cubed lamb pieces with salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the lamb. Fry the lamb over high heat, turning the meat until evenly browned. Remove the lamb from pan and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the bacon and onion to the frying pan, and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion is lightly browned. Reduce the heat slightly and add the garlic, cook for 2 minutes more. Sprinkle in the flour and mix, while mixing gradually pour in the stock and red wine. Then add the tomato paste, sugar, rosemary and season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn up the heat, and bring the sauce to the boil, while stirring. Turn of the heat.
- Spoon the sauce over the meat in the slow cooker, then add the cherry tomatoes. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 5 -6 hours or on high for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Adjust seasoning and serve over pasta.
More Delicious Recipes To Try