A quick spinach apple walnut salad recipe made with red apples, dried cranberries, walnuts and feta cheese. With a healthy orange vinaigrette dressing this salad is slightly sweet with a nutty salty flavour.
About This Recipe
- Gluten free
- An easy green salad with a healthy salad dressing
- Cheap and fast to make
Tips For Making This Spinach Apple Walnut Salad
- The apples can either be sliced or cut into cubes.
- Toss the cut apple pieces into freshly squeezed lemon juice, before adding them to the salad. The lemon juice will slow down oxidisation, keeping the apples looking fresh for longer.
- If the apples have been tossed in lemon juice, this salad can be prepared several hours before serving. Store in the fridge until needed and pour over the salad dressing just before serving.
- When making the dressing, taste the sweetness of the orange. If it is sour add more honey or to taste. If the juice is sweet, reduce the amount of honey or omit altogether.
More Delicious Vegetable Recipes To Try
- Sweet Corn Fritters
- Healthy Carrot Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Onion Feta Salad
- Browse all vegetable and salad recipes
If you haven’t subscribed to our newsletter, please do. Click here to subscribe to the newsletter to be notified of our latest recipes.
Spinach Apple Walnut Salad With Orange Vinaigrette Dressing
For The Salad
- 280 grams red apples
- Juice of half a medium sized lemon
- 200 grams fresh baby spinach washed and dried
- 50 grams dried cranberries
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced
- 90 grams red onion thinly sliced
- 60 grams walnuts
- 30 grams feta cheese crumbled, (1/4 cup)
For The Dressing
- ½ cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
Salad Dressing (Makes about 3/4 cup)
- Combine all the salad dressing ingredients into a screw top jar, shake well.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.Note: If the oranges are sour you can add extra honey to the dressing. If the oranges are sweet you might like to use less or no honey at all.
Preparing The Salad Ingredients
- Core and thinly slice the apples place them into a bowl and toss until well coated in the lemon juice. This will help to stop the apples from going brown too quickly.
- Start by placing a layer of spinach (just over half) into the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- Then start building the salad by alternating and layering all the salad ingredients including the apples, until all used up.
- Dress the salad just before serving or, transfer the dressing to a small jug for individuals to pour over their own salad.