Have a go at baking your own bread from scratch with this easy spinach feta bread. It’s delicious served with soup or just spread with a little butter. The dough is easy to make in the bread machine, then with a little shaping this delicious bread is oven baked.
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- This spinach feta bread is made with a cheesy delicious dough made from scratch.
- The flavours of this bread is similar to spanakopita, which is a Greek appetiser filled with feta and spinach.
- This bread would also be perfect to serve at a party or a barbecue.
Ingredients In This Recipe
The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
For The Dough
• Oil – I used a light flavoured olive oil, if you don’t have it use another neutral flavoured oil, like vegetable oil.
• Greek Feta Cheese – A small quantity of crumbled feta cheese is worked into the dough, which will carry the flavours from the dough to the filling.
• Egg – One egg is used to add richness to the dough.
• Salt – Use the amount stated in the recipe. Don’t be tempted to add more, because, it will become too salty when combined with the feta cheese.
• Bread Flour – I used bread flour (also known as strong flour or bakers’ flour), if you don’t have this plain flour (all purpose flour) could also be used.
• Water – Use lukewarm water or cold tap water. Weigh it for accuracy rather than using cup measures.
• Instant Dried Yeast – Instant dried yeast can be added in with the rest of the ingredients without being activated. However, if you have any doubts as to the freshness of the yeast, activate it before making the recipe.
Not sure how to active yeast, read my article on “How To Use Instant Yeast”.
Spinach Feta Filling
• Spinach – I used frozen spinach for this recipe. Allow it to thaw completely, then use your hands to squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
After squeezing, use your fingers to loosen the spinach. If the spinach pieces look large, chop them into smaller pieces. This will make it easier to spread over the dough later.
• Garlic – Fresh or bottled garlic can be used. If using fresh garlic, grate it, if using bottled use 1 teaspoon. If you don’t like garlic leave it out.
• Butter – A little melted butter is used just for added flavour and to give the filling a little moisture.
• Cheese – Two cheeses are used in the filling grated parmesan cheese and crumbled feta cheese. These are both for flavour and texture.
• Herbs – Using herbs is optional. I used dry oregano; however, another dried or fresh herb can be used.
• Egg White – Beaten egg white is brushed over the top of the dough.
• Extra Parmesan Cheese – just because I like a cheese topping on my bread.
Step By Step Instructions
Making The Dough
Put all the dough ingredients into your bread maker, in the order specified in the instructions for your machine.
Set the bread machine to the dough setting, press start and allow the dough cycle to finish.
When the dough cycle has finished, remove the dough from the machine and place it on a lightly floured surface. Then follow the instructions listed below (under the heading "Putting It Together")
Make The Filling
While the dough is kneading, prepare the filling. Combine all the filling ingredients (except the feta cheese) into a small bowl and mix well. Put aside for later.
Putting It Together
Step 1 - Roll the dough into a 45 cm x 38 cm (18 inch x 15 inch) rectangle.
Step 2 - Evenly spread the spinach mixture over the top of the dough, leaving about 1 cm clearance around the edges.
Step 3 - Evenly sprinkle the crumbled feta over the spinach mixture.
Step 4 - Starting at a long edge, tightly roll the dough until you come to the opposite edge.
Step 5 - When you have rolled the dough to the opposite edge, pinch the seams together to seal.
Step 6 - Use a sharp knife and cut the dough in half lengthwise. Turning the cut sides up.
Step 7 - Twist the bread, by starting at one end and crossing the halves over each other, while keeping the cut sides up.
Step 8 - Pinch together the top ends of the dough to secure in place. Then keep twisting the dough halves until you reach the bottom ends.
Step 9 - Once you have finished twisting the dough pinch the other two ends together.
Step 10 - Transfer the bread to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Because, the bread twist is long, it might have stretched a little when you transferred it to the tray. If this is the case, just ease it back into shape when you have it on the tray.
Step 11 - Cover the dough with a clean cloth, place in a warm area and allow to double in size. This could take about 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm your room is. Pre-heat your oven about 15 – 20 minutes before baking the bread.
Step 12 - Before baking, brush the bread with some beaten egg white.
Step 13 - And sprinkle on some grated Parmesan cheese.
Step 14 - Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 35 – 45 minutes or until the bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped.
More Bread Recipes
- No knead focaccia bread
- Pita bread (bread machine recipe)
- Naan bread
- Spinach and feta pull-apart
- Browse all bread recipes
Spinach Feta Bread
- Bread machine
- 250 ml water
- 60 grams feta cheese crumbled
- 1 egg large
- ½ teaspoon salt level
- 18 grams olive oil
- 520 grams bread flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons yeast
- 300 grams frozen spinach defrosted
- 15 grams butter melted
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 30 grams parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano optional
- 60 grams feta cheese crumbled
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese grated
- Place the bread ingredients into the baking pan in the order recommended by the machine you are using. Place into the bread machine and set to the dough cycle. Allow the dough cycle to complete and leave the dough in the machine and allow to double in size.While the dough is being kneaded, prepare the filling.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove as much liquid as you can. Place into a small bowl add the melted butter, garlic, parmesan cheese, oregano and mix well and put aside.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, remove from the bread machine and transfer to a lightly floured.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle then roll out to a 45 cm x 38 cm rectangle. Spread the spinach filling evenly over the top of the dough, leaving a 1 cm clearance around the edges. Sprinkle over the crumbled feta.
- Start at the long side roll the dough tightly roll it, until you come to the opposite edge. Pinch the seams to seal. Use a sharp knife and cut the dough in half lengthwise. Arrange the dough so that the cut sides are facing upward.
- Twist the halves over each other (like twisting two strands of rope), keeping the filling side up as you do.
- Transfer to a baking tray, cover with a clean cloth, place in a warm area of about 1- 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) about 15 - 20 minutes before baking the bread.
- Make the toppingIn a small bowl or cup whisk the egg white with the water and brush on top of the bread, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 45 – 55 minutes or until the bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire cake rack and allow to cool.