Make these sweet corn fritters any time of the year using canned corn. It’s fast to make, fairly healthy and can be eaten as part of a main meal or snack. These corn fritters are peppered with soft juicy corn kernels and chives, moistened with cream corn and eggs making them light and soft.
About This Recipe
- These sweet corn fritters are budget friendly using both canned corn kernel and creamed corn.
- Eat them as a snack or serve them as an easy finger food at parties.
- They are soft and light in texture.
- And very easy to make.
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1 & 2
Place the flour, baking powder, coriander powder and cumin powder into a large mixing bowl. Use a whisk, a wooden spoon or a fork to combine the ingredients.
Tip: 190 grams of self-rising flour can be using in place of the plain flour and baking powder.
Drain the canned corn kernels and add to the flour mixture, along with the creamed corn, milk, eggs and chives.
Use a wooden spoon to mix well, then season with salt and pepper. Before frying the corn fritters. Cook about 1 teaspoon of the mixture, then taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
You will need a medium sized, heavy bottomed fry pan and at least ½ cup of oil to cook the fritters. They are shallow fried, so the oil needs be deep enough to go up the sides of the fritters.
Drop heaped tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil. Carefully use the back of the spoon to flatten the tops of the fritters.
Caution: Be careful when adding the batter to the oil, as batter can drop from the spoon causing the oil to splatter.
Making the fritters this way will give you irregular shaped fritters. If you would like a more consistent round look (like the ones you see on this page), use metal egg rings. The ones that I use are 7.5 cm in diameter and 1 cm high.
Place 2-3 egg rings into the fry pan, and heat them up in the oil, drop tablespoons of the batter into the centre of each egg ring, filling them to the top.
Use the spoon to carefully nudge the batter to the edge of each ring and even out the tops. Allow the fritters to cook for a minute or two, this will allow the batter to cook a little and hold it shape. Use tongs to carefully remove the rings from around the half-cooked fritter – they will just slip off.
Carefully flip the fritters over when the bottoms have browned and cook the other side until golden in colour. Transfer the cooked sweet corn fritters to a cake rack lined with absorbent paper.
Tips And Frequently Asked Questions
Can corn fritters be frozen?
I’ve never frozen these corn fritters but, I see no reason why they can’t. If you do freeze them, allow them to cool completely. Place on a tray in a single layer and freeze until solid. Once frozen transfer the corn fritters to a freezer bag.
Can corn fritters be made in advance?
Yes, these can be made up to two days in advance and stored in the fridge.
How to reheat corn fritters?
I like to reheat these corn fritters in a 180°C oven for about 5 – 10 minutes or until hot. Place the fritters onto a cake rack, standing on a baking tray. Using the cake rack will help the hot air circulate around the fritters and stop them from going soggy on the bottom.
More Delicious Savoury Snack Recipes To Try
- Easy home-made cheesy breadsticks
- Ham and cheese pinwheels with pineapple
- Light and fluffy cheese and bacon scones
- Browse all savoury snacks
Creamed Sweet Corn Fritters
- 190 grams plain flour
- 1 ¾ level teaspoon baking powder
- ½ level teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ level teaspoon cumin powder
- 400- gram canned corn kernels drained <– note 1
- 400- gram canned creamed corn
- 60 ml buttermilk 1/4 cup
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 15 grams fresh chives chopped (about 3 heaped tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- ½ cup oil for frying
- Place the flour, baking powder, coriander and cumin into a large mixing bowl. Use a spoon or whisk to mix the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, add the corn, milk, eggs and chives.
- Stir until the ingredients are well combined and there are no lumps.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. The oil is ready when you drop a little of the batter into the oil and it starts to bubble around the edges.
- Drop heaped tablespoons of the batter into the pan, spaced about 2 cm apart, flatten the tops of the fritters with the back of a spoon. <– note 2
- Fry for about 2 minutes on each side or until light and golden on both sides and cooked through. Lower the heat, if the fritters are browning too quickly to avoid burning.
- When cooked remove from the pan and drain on absorbent paper.
- Best eaten hot or warm.
Recipe first published May 23, 2019. Updated with new content and images on 13 April 2020
Love to try this sweet corn recipe? PIN THIS to your Easy Recipes board on Pinterest.
You Might Like To Try These Easy Recipes
- Mediterranean Chicken Thighs With Olives
- Green Beans In Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Red Pepper Soup
- Easy Balti Chicken Recipe
- Bread Machine White Bread Recipe
- Chicken Soup With Egg Noodles
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
Sweet corn is gluten free. Read more here.