This healthy and refreshing watermelon banana smoothie is quick to make. Enjoy this delicious drink for breakfast, or as a replacement for your afternoon coffee, or give it to your kids as an after-school snack.
Make this super easy watermelon banana smoothie in less than five minutes and with only three ingredients. It's healthy and filling!
👛 Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $1.20 or $0.60 a serve
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- Smoothies are quick and easy to make.
- Use diet-friendly ingredients to make it dairy-free and vegan.
- This smoothie recipe is naturally gluten-free.
🥘 Ingredients In This Recipe
The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
To make this easy smoothie recipe, you will need;
Watermelon - We like to use seedless watermelon. If you can't get seedless, remove the seeds before blending.
If liked, you can freeze watermelon cubes before blending for a thick smoothie.
It is also a great way to turn the smoothie into an extra refreshing drink on hot summers days without watering it down, like when using ice cubes.
Banana - use a soft ripe banana to give the smoothie a natural sweetness.
Yogurt - We choose to use our homemade yogurt, but you can use store-bought Greek yogurt or other flavored yogurts like vanilla or banana.
To make it dairy-free or vegan, use plant-based yogurt. If you don't like yogurt, you can use dairy milk, almond milk, or other milk.
OPTIONAL - Honey or maple syrup - is used for sweetening the drink. You may not have to add sweetener if you find the fruit sweet enough on its own or when using a sweet flavored yogurt.
🍳 Step By Step Instructions
It is so simple to make this but, you will need a high-speed blender to make this recipe. Without it, you can't blend the fruit into a fine puree.
All you need to do is put the fruit and yogurt into the blender jug, seal and process until the fruit is smooth.
💭 Recipe Tips
- If you like a very thick smoothie, use frozen watermelon cubes.
- Use seedless watermelon or remove seeds before blending.
- If you want to make this a meal replacement, mix in a scoop (or the recommended amount) of unflavored protein powder.
👪 Serving Size
This recipe make 2 one cup servings.
🍬 Calories Per Serve
A 1 cup serving is about 91 calories.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
- Smoothies are great for quick and easy breakfasts.
- They are great as a quick healthy after-school or work snack.
- In the summertime, freeze smoothies in small leakproof drink containers, use them as ice bricks to keep lunches cold, then enjoy a cool healthy drink with lunch.
🍲 Meal Prepping
When watermelon is cheap and in season, and if you have freezer space, freeze watermelon chunks and banana in single-use freeze bags or containers.
When ready to make a watermelon banana smoothie remove a bag from the freezer, place the frozen ingredients into a blender with ½ cup of yogurt, and blend until smooth. Because of the frozen fruit, the smoothie will be extra thick.
If you don't like your smoothies thick, let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes to defrost. Or, blend in some water or more yogurt to get the consistency you like.
Smoothies are best consumed soon after making, but they can be stored in the fridge for one to two days.
Some fruits like apples and bananas tend to oxidize when left for some time and can turn the drink a brownish color.
The taste may also change slightly depending on how long it's been in the fridge.
For long-term storage smoothies or fruit can be frozen for up to three months.
To freeze prepared smoothies - make the smoothies and pour into individual freezer-safe containers or bottles with lids. Leave about 5 cm (1 inch) clear from the top, which will allow for expansion.
I do hope that you try this watermelon banana smoothie recipe. If you do, please come back and leave a comment below because I would love to know how you went.
CONNECT WITH RECIPE POCKET
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
📋 Recipe Card
Watermelon Banana Smoothie
- High speed blender
- Kitchen scales
- Cutting board
- Kitchen knife
- Measuring spoon
- 300 grams (10.5ounces / 1 ¾ cups) watermelon, cut into cubes – see note 1
- 120 grams banana (1 medium), broken into pieces – see note 2
- ½ cup yogurt – dairy or dairy free - see note 3
- 1 tablespoon honey, or maple syrup optional and add to taste
- Place the watermelon, banana, and yogurt into a blender jug.
- Put the lid on the blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste for sweetness, adding some honey if you would like it sweeter. Blend to mix.
- Pour into glasses, garnish as desired, and enjoy.
- If using cup measure - To get approximately 230 grams of watermelon, cut the watermelon into small 2 cm (0.8 inches) cubes, then fill the one cup and the half cup measuring cups level with the top.
- A medium banana is about 18 – 20 cm (7 – 8 inches) long. Use a ripe one for natural sweetness.
- You can use a natural or flavored yogurt like vanilla or banana.
- Turn this into a cooling and refreshing summer drink by freezing the watermelon cubes before blending.
- The nutrition value below includes fruit, plain yogurt, and no honey. With honey, a single-serve would be about 154 kcal.