Beef Chilli Bean Soup
If you love the flavours of a beef nachos, but don’t want the calories, try this tasty alternative, it’s light and full of flavour.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150 grams red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and finely chopped
- 2-3 small red chilli finely sliced
- 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 20 grams fresh coriander finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 500 grams lean minced beef
- 200 grams red capsicum seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 x 400 gram canned diced tomato
- 400 grams fresh tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 x 400 grams canned red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 litres water
- Beef or chicken stock powder to taste (optional)
- Salt to adjust the seasoning
In a large sauce pan, add the oil and heat over a medium/high heat, add the onion and garlic and fry until the onions are soft and start to change colour.
Add sliced chilli, ground cumin, ground coriander, chopped fresh coriander, chilli powder, paprika powder. Mix well with the onion and garlic and fry on medium heat for a minute.Tip: If you find the mixture is too dry and might burn, turn down the heat and add a splash of water to the pot.
Turn up the heat, then add the beef mince. Cook until the meat turns from a pinkish red to a brown colour (this will take about 5 minutes). As you are browning the meat, break it up with your wooden spoon (you don’t want any big lumps of meat).
Turn down the heat a little and add capsicum. Cook until softened (this will take about 5 minutes). As it’s cooking give it a stir every now and again.
Add the tomato paste, stir well into the mixture.
Add the diced canned tomatoes, rough chopped fresh tomatoes, red kidney beans, Worcestershire sauce, 2 litres water, your choice of beef or chicken stock powder to taste.Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer with lid off, for about 20 – 25 minutes or until the flavours have developed, and the soup is slightly reduced.
Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Serve with sour cream, fresh coriander, crushed corn chips, grated cheese and a squeeze of lime juice.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 225mg | Potassium: 863mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2475IU | Vitamin C: 84mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 5mg