Healthy and easy this recipe for green beans in tomato sauce is delicious. A side dish that can be made all year round using in season fresh green beans or from frozen beans. This simple dish is smothered in a thick and rich tomato and garlic sauce and is perfect with grilled or pan-fried meats.
How to Make Mediterranean Style Green Beans In Tomato Sauce
Cook the cut and cleaned beans in boiling salted water until tender, drain and put aside. Sautee onions until golden in colour, add garlic, paprika and chilli flakes. Stir in diced tomatoes and simmer over medium heat until thick and pulpy. Stir in the cooked beans and season with salt.
Green Beans In Tomato
Onions, garlic and diced tomato are cooked down to a thick rich sauce. The sauce can be made spicy with the addition of chilli flakes.
Add cooked green beans to the thick tomato sauce, stir over medium heat until the beans are coated in the sauce and heated through.
See Our Stories
Green Beans In Tomato Sauce
- 500 grams green beans fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100 grams onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes optional
- 1 bay leaf crushed
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons flat parsley chopped
- Cook the beans. If using fresh beans cook in boiling salted water until tender. If using frozen Cook according to the packet instructions. Drain, run under cold water to stop them cooking then drain again. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat until soft and slightly golden.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the paprika, chilli flakes (if using), and the bay leaf, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato and simmer uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes until the liquid reduces and is pulpy. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
- Add the cooked beans and parsley and cook for 1 minute or until the beans are warmed through. Remove from the heat.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
You May Like These Easy Recipes
- Soft Flour Tortillas
- Mediterranean Chicken Thighs With Olives
- Easy Pork Mince Stir Fry With Noodles
- Easy Beef Vegetable Soup
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
At one time tomatoes where considered poisonous because they are closely related to the deadly nightshade plant. Read more tomato facts here.