This hamburger soup with macaroni is a quick and easy meal packed with vegetables, lean beef, diced tomatoes and macaroni. It can be made ahead of time, reheats well and can be frozen.
About This Soup Recipe
- It’s light and healthy.
- Easy to make.
- Budget friendly.
- It can easily be adapted to use other ground meats and vegetables.
- It’s family friendly.
This soup starts by frying onions, carrot, celery and garlic until the onions turn translucent. Minced beef (hamburger) is then added and browned in the pot. I prefer to use a low-fat mincemeat for this soup, so that it won’t make the soup greasy. If you choose to use a mince meat with more fat, you can drain away the excess fat before moving on to the next step.
Next, stir in the tomato paste and cook for a minute or two. Cooking the tomato paste will help intensify the tomato flavour. Then add the beef stock, diced canned tomatoes, bay leaves, dried basil and a pinch of sugar. Bring everything to the boil, put the lid on and turn down the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.
While the soup is simmering away, cook the macaroni as directed on the package. Drain and rinse under cold water and put aside.
After the soup has finished simmering, add the frozen veggies, and cook just long enough for the vegetables to cook. Try and avoid over cooking the vegetables as beans and peas will lose their colour and go “grey looking”. Stir in the cooked macaroni allow to heat through. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve and enjoy!
Soup Making Tips
- Don’t cook the macaroni in the soup, rather cook it separately and add it to the soup just before serving. When you cook pasta in soup, the soup turns starchy and will thicken up the next day. On reheating you will have to add more stock or water and adjust the seasoning before serving.
- When in season use fresh beans, peas and corn if you like.
You can easily vary this recipe and customise this soup to suit your tastes or use it as a base to use up left-over food.
- Try using another minced meat instead of beef, try ground chicken or shredded roast chicken, ground lamb or pork.
- Replace the macaroni with finely diced potato or pumpkin, use another pasta like spaghetti, risoni (a short cut pasta shaped like rice) or shells. You could even add cooked rice or gnocchi.
- You could even add drained canned beans, chickpeas or lentils.
Tips And Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze Hamburger Soup With Macaroni?
The best way to freeze this soup is to leave out the macaroni and add it after thawing and reheating. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
How Long Is Hamburger Soup Good For In The Fridge?
This soup will last 4-5 days in the fridge and actually improves with age. Reheat in the microwave or over low heat on the stove.
What Goes Good With Hamburger Soup?
When I don’t have time, we will just eat it with slices of store-bought fresh bread and butter, or toasted slices of bread with butter.
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try
- Slow Cooker Chicken Rice Soup
- Indonesian Meatball Soup
- Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
- Browse all soup recipes
Hamburger Soup with Macaroni
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 150 grams onions diced
- 70 grams carrot diced
- 130 grams celery thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed and finely minced
- 700 grams mince beef lean
- 70 grams tomato paste
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 x 400 gram cans diced tomato
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch of sugar
- 100 grams frozen peas or fresh peas
- 130 grams frozen corn or fresh corn
- 100 grams frozen green beans or fresh beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 180 grams uncooked macaroni or 400 grams (2 ½ heaped cups) of cooked macaroni.
- In a large deep pot, heat the oil, add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic, fry and constantly stir over medium/high heat, cook until the onions turn translucent.
- Add beef mince, turn the heat to high and cook to brown the mince, as you cook break the mince into smaller pieces.
- Turn down the heat to medium, add the tomato paste and stir into the meat and cook for 1 -2 minutes.
- Add the beef stock, canned tomatoes, pinch of sugar, bay leaves and dried basil, turn the heat to high and bring to the boil. Put the lid on, turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.While the soup is simmering prepare the macaroni(skip this step in you are using cooked macaroni)Cook the macaroni as directed on the packet, drain and rinse under cold water. Put aside for later.
- Add the frozen peas, corn, beans to the soup and bring back to the boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer uncovered for 5 – 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add and stir the cooked pasta into the hot soup just before serving.
- Taste again for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve hot.
Love to try this Hamburger Soup With Macaroni recipe? PIN THIS to your Soup Recipes board on Pinterest.
You Might Like To Try These Easy Recipes
- How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- Greek Cookies With Powdered Sugar
- Baked Donuts Without a Pan
- Strawberry Cake Recipe
- Mexican Three Milk Cake
- Apple and Blackberry Crumble Filo Pastry Pies
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
Corn is a cereal crop which belongs to the grass family.