This homemade vegan mascarpone cheese substitute is easy to make. Made with just one ingredient this could not be any easier to make.
This easy vegan mascarpone cheese is thick, creamy, and slightly sweet. It is a great dairy-free substitute for sweet and savory cooking.
👛 Cost To Make
Estimated cost AUD$ = $4.50 or $0.90 a serve
🌟 About This Recipe
- It is rich and creamy and spreads well.
- It's made with no cheese, no tofu, and is cream free.
- This is a simple one-ingredient recipe that is fuss-free and quick to make, and you don't need any fancy gadgets to make it.
- This recipe is low fat, dairy-free, gluten-free, and nut-free.
- It is smooth, creamy, and thick enough to be used for piped decorations.
- This recipe makes about 1 ¼ cups of vegan mascarpone substitute.
- This dairy-free mascarpone substitute is ideal for use in desserts and some savory cooking.
What Is Mascarpone Cheese
Mascarpone cheese is an Italian cheese made from two ingredients, heavy cream, and citric acid. This simple cheese is can be used in sweet and savory cooking.
It is thick, creamy, rich, slightly sweet, and has a fat content of about 70%. It tastes similar to cream cheese, ricotta cheese, or creme fraiche.soyaeats.com
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
Plant-based yogurt - try to use plain unflavored yogurt, but if you can't get plain, use vanilla or coconut yogurt. Because these yogurts are already sweetened, there is no need for the use of extra sugar.
Sieve and muslin (cheesecloth) and needed.
This recipe could not be any simpler.
Step 1 - Line a sieve with a muslin cloth and place it over a large bowl or jug. Then empty a carton of plant-based yogurt into the sieve.
Step 2 - Gather the muslin cloth and twist to seal the yogurt inside, place a weight on top of the yogurt bundle (a soup can will do), and put it in the fridge for 24 hours to drain.
Step 3 - After 24 hours, water will have drained from the plant yogurt, and water can be discarded.
The amount of water removed from the yogurt will vary from brand to brand.
Step 4 - Scoop the mascarpone substitute out of the muslin cloth and transfer to a container with a lid - we usually put the vegan mascarpone back into the cleaned yogurt container. Store in the fridge until needed.
👪 Serving Size
The serving size of this vegan mascarpone substitute is about ¼ cup (80 grams, 2.8 ounces), which is about three times more than the average 30 grams (1.06 ounces) serving of mascarpone cheese.
🍬 Calories Per Serve
An 80 grams (2.8-ounce) serving of this vegan mascarpone has about 66 calories and 2 grams of fat.
A 30-gram (1.06-ounce) serving of mascarpone cheese has about 120 calories and 14 grams of fat.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
This dairy-free mascarpone is slightly sweet and will carry the flavor of the yogurt used.
We recommend using plain, vanilla, or coconut. These flavors are relatively neutral and are suitable for most sweet and savory dishes.
Below are a few ways you can use this vegan mascarpone.
This mascarpone substitute should be stored in the fridge and in an airtight container. It will keep for about seven days.
📝 Frequently Asked Questions
No, it is not vegan because it is made from milk.
I do hope that you try this recipe for vegan mascarpone. If you do, please come back and leave a comment below because I would love to know how you went.
CONNECT WITH RECIPE POCKET
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
📋 Recipe Card
Vegan Mascarpone Cheese Substitute
- Muslin cloth (cheesecloth)
- Large bowl or jug
- 500 grams 17.6 ounces of plant-yogurt, plain, vanilla, or coconut flavor
- Transfer the yogurt to a sieve lined with a double layer of muslin and suspended over a bowl.
- Gather sides of the muslin and twist to close. Place a flat bottom bowl on top of the twisted muslin and arrange it so it sits flat. Then add weight like a 400-gram (14 ounces) unopened can of beans or tomatoes - this weight will help press out some of the liquid. Place in the fridge and allow to drain for at least 12 - 24 hours.
- After draining, scoop the vegan mascarpone out from the muslin cloth and transfer it to a container, store in the fridge until needed.