A surprisingly easy pineapple, banana cake recipe that’s quick to make and tastes amazing. The luscious flavours of the juicy pineapple, along with the subtle sweetness of ripe bananas, and hint of cinnamon are just heavenly. Then take pleasure with every mouthful, as you bite into pieces of toasted, crunchy pecans and be pleasantly surprised with the smooth creamy zesty, frosting.
About This Cake
- It’s a moist cake, that’s full of flavour and texture.
- No electric mixer used to make this cake, all you need is a wooden spoon and two mixing bowls.
- It’s an easy cake for beginners to make.
Hints and Tips
Overview of making the cake
There are basically six easy steps to this recipe:
- Combine and mix all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients into another large bowl or jug.
- Pour all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and mix well.
- Pour into a prepared cake tin, bake, and allow to cool.
- Cover with frosting
- Eat and enjoy.
This cake is not overly sweet, as I have reduced the amount of sugar in it. We find that the sweetness from the bananas and frosting is more than enough for us. However, if you like sweeter cakes, feel free to increase the sugar to 300 grams.
Cake Tins And Cooking Times
Use the baking times in this recipe as a guide only. Baking times will vary with the type of baking pan you are using. For example, the cake seen on this page was made in a Bundt tin this cooked in about 25 minutes. Whereas a cake baked in a tin without a centre hole could take up to one hour to bake.
If you are not in a rush to eat this cake, leave it overnight. By doing this you are allowing the cake to mature, so that the flavours can develop, and you will get a stronger banana and pineapple taste.
This cake can also be frozen with or without frosting. Allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving.
How to Decorate a Hummingbird Cake
This cake is very quick and simple to make and can easily be transformed into a simple and elegant celebration cake.
If you want to decorate your cake like I have. You will need to add more lemon juice to the frosting and make it a slightly runny, something like lightly whipped cream.
Spoon the frosting on top of the cake, use the back of a spoon to gently push the icing down sides. Finish by sprinkling on some chopped pecans and decorate the centre with silk or fresh flowers.
See Our Stories
Pineapple Banana Cake Recipe
- 270 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 160 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams pecans chopped
- 300 grams bananas very ripe and mashed
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 300 grams canned pineapple rings about 8 – drained and chopped into tiny pieces
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 80 grams cream cheese at room temperature
- 80 grams sifted icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1-3 tablespoons lime juice
- a few extra pecans for decorating
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
MAKE THE CAKE
- Place all the ingredients from the dry list into a large mixing bowl, mix well.
- In a large jug, add all the ingredients from the wet list, and mix well.
- Pour all the mixed wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and gently mix until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared 22 cm cake tin, level the top, and place in the preheated oven to bake for 20 – 30 minutes, or until cooked – Insert a wooden skewer into the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is cooked.
- When cooked, remove from the oven, and allow to stand in the tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire cake rack. Allow to cool completely before adding the frosting.
MAKE THE FROSTING
- Place all the ingredients from the cream cheese frosting list into a bowl. Mix well (with a spoon or electric mixer) until smooth. Spread over the top of the cooled cake. Decorate with finely chopped pecan nuts.
You May Also Like These Easy Recipes