This broccoli and cauliflower soup is tasty, filling, cheap and very simple to make. This is a hearty soup and packed with other veggies too. It’s gluten free and with a few food swaps can be made vegetarian and vegan.
About This Recipe
- It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to simmer, this soup is a fast and easy family meal.
- It’s healthy, low fat and gluten free.
- Can be made vegan and vegetarian with a few simple food swaps.
Broccoli – use a large head of broccoli and its stem. Cut the head into pieces. Peel the skin from the stem and cut into bite sized pieces. Wash well to remove any sand.
Cauliflower – use half a large cauliflower, remove any discolouration. Roughly chop the cauliflower into small bite sized pieces and wash well.
Carrot and potato – these can be peeled or not. If you are leaving the skins on give them a good scrub before cutting. Cut the carrot into fine dice and the potatoes into small cubes.
Celery – cut this into fine dice.
Brown onion and garlic – these give a nice flavour to the soup especially when sautéed. These should be peeled and finely chopped.
Butter – The fat from the butter will enhance the flavors in the soup. Leave this out if you are making this vegan.
Olive oil – for sauteing the vegetables.
Chicken stock – use homemade, store bought or make from stock powder. For a vegetarian/vegan alternative use vegetable stock or water.
Canned diced tomatoes – the canned tomatoes add flavour and richness to the soup.
Dried herbs – we like to use dried Italian herb mix because it goes so well with tomato and garlic. If you don’t have this use dried or fresh parsley or make your own Italian herb mix.
Step by Step Instructions
Image 1: Cut the onion, celery and carrot into a fine dice. Having the vegetables roughly the same size, means they will cook quicker and be finished at the same time.
Image 2: This soup is not going to be pureed so, the broccoli, cauliflower and potato should be cut into small even bite sized pieces. Having bite-sized pieces not only speeds up cooking, it makes the soup easier to eat.
Making The Soup
- This soup is very easy to make once all your veggies are cut. It’s just a matter of sauteing the onion, carrot, garlic, celery in the olive oil and butter. Sauteing the vegetables will give a lovely flavour to the soup.
- Then add the stock (or water), tomatoes, potatoes and herb and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower and cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until the broccoli and cauliflower are cooked.
- To finish the soup season with salt and pepper.
This soup can stand on it’s own if you want something light and healthy for dinner. For something a little more filling, serve the soup with homemade bread like our Hawaiian dinner rolls or homemade cheese bread sticks.
Or try one of these sandwich ideas:
- Grilled mozzarella sandwich – by feelgoodfoodie.net
- Avocado chicken club sandwich – by spendwithpennies.com
- Vegetarian gyros – by cooktoria.com
Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
Can you freeze broccoli and cauliflower soup?
Yes, this soup can be frozen.
Can broccoli cauliflower soup be made with frozen vegetables?
Yes, this broccoli and cauliflower soup can be made with frozen vegetables. Reduce the cooking time if using frozen vegetables because, they are already partially cooked.
How many calories in broccoli and cauliflower soup?
This broccoli and cauliflower soup has only 215 calories per serve. Serving size is about 2 1/2 cups (440 grams, 15.5 ounces).
Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- Large deep sauce pan with lid
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28 grams butter skip the butter to make this vegan
- 200 grams onion roughly chopped
- 150 grams carrot cut into small dice
- 50 grams celery roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 750 grams chicken stock use vegetable stock or water to make it vegetarian/vegan
- 1 x 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 140 grams potato chopped into small dice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or dried Italian herbs
- 150 grams broccoli roughly cut the head and stem into small pieces
- 150 grams cauliflower roughly chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Garnish – optional
- chopped fresh parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large deep saucepan, heat the oil and butter (if using) over a medium heat. Add the onions, carrot, and celery and cook and stir for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in the stock (or water), canned tomatoes, potatoes, and dried parsley, and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to a little higher than low, put the lid on and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower, turn up the heat and bring back to the boil. Turn down the heat and continue to simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli and cauliflower are cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and or grated parmesan cheese.
Love to try this Recipe? PIN THIS to your Soup Recipes board on Pinterest.
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try
- 4 ingredient potato soup
- Hamburger soup with macaroni
- Split pea soup with sausage
- Indonesian chicken noodle soup
- See all our soup recipes
Pocket Food Facts
Did You Know?
Cauliflower comes in a variety of colours: white is the most common, green, purple, orange, brown and yellow.