This peach upside down cake with canned peaches, is one of the easiest cakes you will ever make. It’s quick to put together using canned peaches and is almost fail proof.
About This Cake
- Can be prepared in less than 20 minutes.
- It’s budget friendly.
- Can be made any time of the year using canned peaches.
This cake is so easy it perfect for beginners. If this is your first time making a cake you might like to read my cake baking tips for beginners for some great tips.
Step By Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
1. Grease the inside sides of the cake tin with a little butter, this will prevent the sides of the cake sticking to the tin.
Next, make the caramel, by melting the butter. You can either melt the butter in the microwave oven or melt it a small saucepan on the stove.
Remove the butter from the heat and add the brown sugar mixing well. Spread the mixture evenly over the base of the tin
2. I used a 820 gram can of peach slices, which contains about 500 grams of peaches. Drain the peaches and use absorbent paper to pat dry. The peaches don’t need to be completely dry.
Arrange the peach slices decoratively over the top of the brown sugar and butter mixture.
Tip: When in season 500 grams of fresh peaches with skin on can be used.
3. To make the cake batter, all the ingredients should be at room temperature. So, remove the cold ingredients from the fridge about 30 minutes to one hour before using. Place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
4. Use an electric mixer and mix for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture looks light in colour and is lump free.
If you don’t have and electric mixer, use a wooden spoon to beat the mixture until the batter looks light and creamy.
- The cake batter is quite thick so, use a spoon to drop the batter all over the peaches.
- Use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface of the batter.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven for about 30 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the peach upside down cake from the oven, allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack or serving plate.
- This cake is best eaten hot or warm on the day it was made.
Peach Upside Down Cake
For the Caramel
- 60 grams butter
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 500 grams peach slices fresh or canned (if using canned peaches drain and pat dry with a paper towel) Note: a 820 gram can of peach slices = about 500 grams of peaches when drained.
For the Cake
- 160 grams plain flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder level
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 120 grams butter softened
- 150 grams sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 125 grams milk room temperature
Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease the inside of a 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) square cake tin.
- Melt the butter and stir in the brown sugar. Spread the mixture evenly into the base of the prepared tin.
- Arrange the drained peach slices over the brown sugar mixture. Put aside.
- Place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Use a spoon to dollop the batter evenly over the arranged peaches. Use the back of a spoon to even the batter, and make sure that the mixture is slightly lower in the middle.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack or serving plate.
More Delicious Easy Cake Recipes To Try